If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

facial tingling and tightness

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sarah Find out more about Sarah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• facial tingling and tightness

hi

let me apologize for being off-topic here, but i don't have anyone else to talk to about this.

first of all, i know the answer is "get checked out" and i have already had an MRI and a CT on this, so i'm posting more b/c i need some ideas and some support.

i'm under a ton of stress and i worked really crazy hours last week. so i was exhausted and premenstral. then i pricked my finger on a painted tack and i realized that i hadn't had a tetanus booster. it was a tiny prick that i cleaned really well. and the tack was part of an art piece, it wasn't lying around on the floor or anything. but i started to freak out about it so i tried to get a shot, but my doctor said i had to come in and see her. i made an appointment.

however, before that could happen, i've had this twitch in my left eye (i chalked up to stress, b/c it has happened before) and then it turned into my whole left face felt taught and tingly but not numb. I can feel stuff. then my left side went weak a couple times and the face tingling and taughtness never went away. so I went to the er before my appointment came up and i mentioned the tetanus thing, but of course they focus on TIA/stroke since my symptoms were more in line with that. they didn't find anything and i was sent home.

today, i woke up from a nap and my whole face was tight and my neck stiff. i washed my hands in hot water and they both got super tingly feeling.

everything i've read on tetanus says it is contractions, stiffness and fever, so the tingling isn't quite right. the tightness in my face isn't painful, just weird. it sounds more like neuropathy or a pinched nerve, right?

i also have a low-grade headache.

i am trying to figure out how much of this could be extreme anxiety and how much is a serious medical problem and how urgent is this?

my neck has been stiff off an on, too. i'm either sleeping wrong, really, really, really freakin' wrong or i have menningitis or neurpathy as far as i can tell. the problem is, i'm so anxious that i can't seperate my stress symptoms from the actual condition now.

i have no idea what to do at this point. except go to my doctor (hopefully tomorrow). but how numb do i have to be before i need to go to the ER?

help.

s

Re: facial tingling and tightness

Sarah, I don't have an answer. Are you all right? Is there anything I can do for you? I think I wouldn't take any chances and would go to the ER now.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Sarah,

just read your post. I'm not a doctor but if I had to guess, I would say it is nerve related. I had a pinched nerve which resulted in a wicked stiff neck and I had tingling in my hand and side of my face. My doctor had me put a warm compress on my neck and went away within a day or so. I do not think it is meningitis. I believe you would have a high grade fever and with vomitting. I think the added stress of not knowing, exacerbates the symptoms. I hope you get in to see a doctor tomorrow. I'm sure you will be just fine. Please let us know how it goes.
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well... maybe you should get checked out to make sure.

I had posted a similar problem several months ago, when I had drank a lot of booze (so what else is new) and one whole side of my body went kinda tingly and numb. Not really all the way numb, i could still feel things, but it was the prickly feeling like you get when your foot goes to sleep, only it was in my face... i thought i was having a minor stroke, but i never did go to have it checked. I just passed out and when i woke up the next morning i felt okay.

I think getting it checked out will make you feel better... i wish i had.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

thanks, everyone.

yeah, i double checked on meningitis and it isn't that.

i'm going with pinched nerve or stress or both right now.

my job sucks, i start a new job next year but i'm afraid it will be too stressful (it will be less stressful that current job, but i've done similar work before and it can get crazy. this new place, however, seems pretty low key and i think i'm freaking out b/c everything else right is yucky too), my brother is having white outs and won't go get checked out, my sister-in-law's mom's killer is going to trial soon, i'm broke, i think i have to break up with my boyfriend but he is also my landlord and i can't afford to move, i'm depressed, and am emotionally and physically exhausted from the job i'm at right now. it ends the 12th but i wish it were tomorrow.

i'll keep you posted. i just needed to rant.

thanks,

s

Comment

Geez Sarah, your really going thru a bad time, is there someone you can sit down and talk to. A good friend, clergy or someone.
            Sounds like you really got to vent.
            Try not to look at the whole picture and just take one thing at a time.
            You know the saying 'and this to will pass', eventually all these will go away, but I know for now it really sucks.
            Hoping there are better times ahead for you soon.
            Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
            So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
            Good luck and stay well.
            Glen

Comment

Sarah, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. You provide so much for everyone here, we all want to be there for you also. It's been too long since we've talked. PM me with the right # and best time and I'll call you tonite or whenever. Hope you see your doc today. Linda

Comment

Sarah - Are you coming down with the FLU? Go to the doc and get some rest.
                PLEASE relax and take care of yourself.
                You know where to find me if you need me.

Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Sarah,

I am sorry this is happening to you. I know how it feels when everything falls apart! I called the number you gave me a while back and left my new cell phone number. Would love to talk to you again!

Mary S.

Comment

Sarah,

I'm really sorry you're going through this right now. Have you considered shingles? Your symtoms remind me of what I experienced when I wound up with shingles...twitching facial muscles, tingling in the face and a serious tension headache with no fever. Do you have little blisters on your skin? Go to the Doc. if you can and I hope you feel better soon!

Elizabeth

Comment

well, i've had psoriasis all my life. i don't have any really new patches but i will definitely look into it. my sister had shingles, as did a friend of mine, and both had a lot more pain than i'm having. but you never know.

thanks.

i'm extracting myself from my horrible job a few days early tomorrow which should help.

my face is better but the tension seems to be moving down through my body. hopefully it will work itself all the way down and out shortly!

i had cranio-sacral therapy yesterday and it really worked some wonders, too.

s

Comment

Hi Sarah
                        I'm no doctor but you sound like your expierencing anxiety. Sometimes when we are sooo stressed we make something small really big. I'm not saying your symptoms aren't real but I think they seem worse when you add anxiety to pile. Anyways, I hope you get checked out and that it's nothing big. This is a stressful time of year. God Bless.
                        Tammy

Comment

dear tammy,

oh, yes, anxiety is clearly a big factor here. i internalize all my stress, but it usually all comes to a "head" via a migraine, so this diffused stuff threw me for a loop and made me even more anxious.

i'm doing much better today. i lined up someone to work for me the next two days which should take care of my commitments to this temp gig. now i just have to tell my boss! She is in a meeting till 10am so she doesn't know yet.

then i'm going to spend the next two weeks watching funny movies, meditating, and making jewelry and christmas presents. bliss. (and cleaning my apartment---not bliss but better in the long run).

i'm still having some physical symptoms but i have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see what we can see.

s

Comment

Hi Sarah
                            You sound sooo much better today You remind me a lot of myself. It's great that you keep yourself busy. I wish I could meditate. I've tried but I just can't seem to relax enough. All the best at your appointment and please let me know what the doc said.....Take Care.
                            Tammy

Comment

Sarah,
                              So glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope the doctor can figure out the problem....take it easy and enjoy the holidays!
                              \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X