If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHF poll

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHF poll

Have you ever experienced Congestive Heart Failure?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    I think so
    0%
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: CHF poll

My husband hasn't ever experienced CHF.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Yes, I have it most of the time now.
      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

I take spironlactone for it daily now in fact twice a day up to 50mg a day and i still have that tickle in my throat from time to time, and the doctor also upped my fluid pills to twice a day the fluid just doesn't want to go away
        Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Shirley--Please tell me about the tickle in your throat related to heart failure. I swear that since getting my meds just right for my HCM, my chronic cough has improved. It doesn't make sense to anyone I've talked to and it could just be coincidence--but I wonder.

Sue

Comment

Well the tickle is not there all the time now but a month ago i started coughing really bad again and the doctor upped my CHF meds, I've had this disease for years, but was just diagnosed with it this past Febuary, i have been complaining to doctors for years about being short winded, fatigue all the time, chest pain, i've even blacked out in the past, a couple of times, the doctors told me it was asthma, but i couldn't take the meds for it they made me sick, now the cardio dr. is telling me it wasn't asthma after all, he says that's why the meds made me sick, and he said i was pretty far into the disease when they found it, so i'm pretty sure it's CHF

shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

There's a pretty good chance that tickle is the early dry cough that often signals early CHF. Just a little bit of early congestion at the start of CHF will cause that sensation and the need to cough. Linda

Comment

Interesting. I have been diagnosed with mild COPD and mild asthma but it seemed mainly as a way to put a name to my chronic cough. Bronchial dialator meds, which they actually use as a diagnostic tool for asthma, (if they help, it is asthma) didn't help, but I got the asthma label anyway.

My heart condition and my chronic cough certainly developed in a similar time frame. And when I cough, I feel as if I'll faint--the same feeling I got with exhertion before the right meds, so the cough was really a problem. Blacking out and noisily distruptive at the same time! Yet I don't think I have CHF, just HCM. As Lisa says, we're all different. If I had my choice, I'd be different in some other way---like slender or athletic. Wouldn't that be fun.

Sue

Comment

last November I had a really bad upper respiratory infection....it resulted in CHF symptoms...doctors never said it acted up on its own or was the result of excess fluid from the uri ...haven't taken furosedmide since last April
                  \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hi, all!

I have had a mild case of pneumonia the past few days and could not seem to get rid of fluid (which I could hear in my lungs and see in feet, legs, hands and face) by taking a little HCTZ, as I have been doing when I had excessive swelling in previous weeks. I finally went to a western doctor (Australian actually) this morning and he says that the symptoms I have been having are CHF, but that he thinks I am doing a reasonably good job of balancing my need to avoid too much HCTZ with my need to get rid of the fluid. Cynthia, he also said that the pneumonia could, and probably did, cause me to go further into "fluid overload" than in the past. He said that CHF usually has a trigger and a lung infection is a common one. So that probably explains your situation as well.

On another note, I regret to say that going to a western doc in Beijing is still really not a good option as I spent 1/4 of my month's salary to go this morning to a very nice GP with no tests other than oxygen saturation and the usual BP, pulse, and listening to heart, lungs, and arteries screens.

On a good note, I think I am much better today than the past couple of days, although I am tired of coughing.

Rhoda

Comment

I have it most, if not all of the time too.

Matt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X