If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHF symptoms?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHF symptoms?

how do you know if you have a CHF symptom or something else? I do not have any fluid....heard that snap-crackle-pop in my chest and with some post nasal drip.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: CHF symptoms?

Cynthia. I have CHF. 80 mg of Lasix daily usually keeps it under control. But when it doesn't, this is what happens. The sound in your chest will sound more like a 'crackle' than a 'wheeze'. You will gain weight. You will have to sleep with more than one pillow. You will have quite a bit more SOB. I get swelling in the ankles and abdomen. But I believe you can get it elsewhere, such as your hands, legs, etc. Hope this is helps.

Comment

Cynthia This sounds like a problem . With my ChF I have to do the same as Robbyn ,also weights daily are very very important . A gain of 2-3 LBS daily may turn out to be a big problem . Several years ago my insurance ear marked me for a team of nurses called cardiac heathways. I had electronic equip. ,theirs all wireless to a hub and recorded and sent through the phone lines.( to PENN. from MA). There was no escape ;if I forgot they called, if my weight went up they called . They taught this thick headed resistant nurse -me ,how to manage my CHF and how to dose my Lasix carefully and on an as needed increase for weight increases 2-3 LBS or more. Also I needed to learn how to consider my body's need for increase potassium when increasing the Lasix . I taught them the difference between a typical CHF patient and one with HCM . They quickly found that if I followed their advise to limit my fluid intake at those times , I would then be in trouble with my heart being dehydrated .There is a balance a carefull one ; Feet up ,so kidneys are not struggling , do this for several hours . THey need to be up like in a recliner. Drinking water worked best for me on the increase days cooler tmperatures ; air conditioning in summer ,less heat in winter. There is this principle with lasix that if you're up and around you will defeat the whole purpose and desired out come. I know it's true. Find out if your insurance has a program for CHF patients remember you will have to probably teach them how to incorporate what you know as most don't know of our HCM. Or see if your local visiting nurse(VNA) has such a team and if your doc will order it up for you ; for teaching and monitoring . As CHF is the #1 utilizer of repeat hospital admissions , most insurances will allow a time for teaching, learning, and evaluation from the VNA. Good luck ,hope this has helped. Pam......... Also let your doc know ,is he Dr. Maron? He has been very understanding and helpfull with me since surgery . I now only take 40mgs of Lasix a day with prns maybe 1 time a week . BYE
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thank you for you advice. I'm waiting for a call from Dr. Maron. I was taking lasix last Dec.-March...been off since then. I did not know that you should be OFF your feet for several hours while on lasix. I was never told that when I was taking it (20 mg. every OTHER day). This is all new to me so I have lots of questions and concerns.
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia

i take 40mg a day what i do is get up take the multitude of meds the dr.s have me on and then i lay back down for about an hour or so and watch the morning news i hope you get your answers you want.

Take Care
          Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...