If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

smelly_cat1234 Find out more about smelly_cat1234
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

Hey

how are you al doing? ,well don't know if you remeber me i have blocks when i go online then blocks when i like never on
    any way i have a question ,my dad has alway told me drinking alocohol getting drunk is bad for my heart but i never readly believe him i guessed it was just one of him sad ways of him trying to stop me from drinkni ,im a teenage what can i saw
    but im been hsve quit a few chest pains its probble just clash of time
    but i was just wondering if it is true?

take care
    *m*

Re: question

Your dad is absolutely right on this one. Alcohol makes some people have abnormal heart beats. It is a very big no-no to drink alcohol. It's very hard on your heart.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Here is my personal experience....

I had HCM from age 13 on and never had a lot of trouble with it, just some palpitations (weird heart beats) from time to time and sometimes a really fast heart beat when I had a lot of stress or ran around.

I would have the occaisional drink in college, but I knew drinking wasn't good for my heart so I didn't do much of it. Once, I had a lot of champagne and the next morning I was really, really sick. My heart beat was all messed up and I could hardly move.

But that wasn't the worst. In 1996, I had skipped some of my medication and then had about 1/4 of a glass of wine and my heart freaked out and went into atrial fibrillation. I had to take blood thinners for three weeks and then have them shock my heart back to normal. Atrial fibrillation can cause a stroke or a heart attack and it drains all of your energy --you don't get enough oxygen.

I was ok again for a few years, but then I went into afib again and after two years of trying to get back to normal, they've given up.

Moral of the story: DON'T DRINK!!!!!!!!!

(drugs are even worse because they cause super-fast heart rates and arrhythmias --cocaine and such would probably be fatal.)

Comment

hey

well thank you guys for your asners , dum that i hate it when dad is right, this puts a huge hole in my social life
        no drugs either(don't worry i don't do drugs just suppised) god is there anythink else the heart does not take very well?

take care
        *margie*

Comment

Dear *Margie*, Sarah and Reenie are so right. As I was only diagnosed in 2000. I had many probably near fatal responses to alcohol. Of couse this drinking picked up when I was newly single and out there . Thank god and anthing else that caused me to stop before it was too late. On my 40th birthday in 1993 at night, I went out with a friend had two drinks and became deathly ill. I don't remember much when it 1st hit me except that I could barely stay conscious and I remember wetting myself in my own fairly new car . Why my friend did not take me to the hospital I don't know. I was put to bed ,I remember feeling like my heart would pound right through my chest shortly and I lay there awake all night feeling I was going to die I had vomited far more fluid then I had even consumed and everytime I tried to get up , I passed out. I WAS NOT DRUNK. The following night friends drove me home as I still could not drive and my heart was beating very irregularly. It took several days to get well enough to function. Sad to say there were repeat incidents like this one. every time I even took a drink. One time I passed out at the wheel of my car as I was putting it in drive. I had just left a club after a glass of wine and a burger because I didn't feel well. What I learned when I came to was there was a club full of people staring at me and an angry club owner accusing me of being drunk and putting his liqure license in jeopardy. Again I WAS NOT DRUNK. I can't believe I drove away and got home without killing myself or someone else. Same scenario occured, that time but I was alone and I felt strongly that I would not make it through the night. Guess what ? You guessed it I never drank again and still don't . Yes it feels not to cool to not have that choice and sometimes I get sorry for me , but it is better to be alive and you know as you age you will see that it is great to be stone cold sober and still laugh and have a great time at events. I also found that no one even realized I wasn't drinking and they thought I was the life of the party because they were really sloshed. It is still your choice to drink but if you ask me it surely is not your best choice. Best of luck , live long and cherish the gift of yourself , seek ways to make the negatives,positive and life can be good. Take Care . Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

When you are at parties, drink a glass of sprite/7up/bubbley water with a lemon or lime wedge and everyone will assume you have a vodka tonic or similar. Putting a lemon or lime wedge into a glass of cola will do the same. That way, no one will pester you for "not drinking" and you don't have to explain anything. Or a cocktail cherry. that works too.

if you are at a bar, be sure to ask for the wedges/cherries as they don't always put them in non-alcoholic drinks.

s

Comment

Margie,

You're probably not getting the answer you wanted to hear (i'm sorry), but as far as alcohol is concerned... it really is a big no no... especially since you stated in your post that you were already experiencing some chest pains. Don't ya just hate it when your parents are right? Trust me... you will still hate it just as much when you're an old fart like me

Alcohol can actually be a triple whammy for us HCM'ers...

a) The alcohol itself can induce arrhythmias and some other very nasty things, even with just one or two drinks. It's a property of the alcohol itself, and not related to the quantity of alcohol that you drink.

b) Alcohol has the added bonus of severely dehydrating you and making your heart work extra hard... in fact all of your internal organs shrink in size when you drink alcohol, even your brain, which is why you can get such a nasty headache. You don't want a shrunken head do you?

c) For many HCM'ers, it seems to take us a lot longer to rid our bodies of alcohol than it does in normal people, so the bad effects tend to be much worse, and hang around much longer than our non-HCM counterparts. Even as a teenager, it always took me days and days to recover from a night of drinking with my friends.

Please take care of yourself.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Well.. they have said it all...
                Drinking is BAD for those with HCM...
                The funny thing is people make far to big of a deal over drinking - when you think about it is a rather strange custom we have developed... drink something that has a very odd taste - makes you feel dizzy and you act like a fool in front of your friends and strangers?!?!? YEh I miss those old drinking days...NOT!

Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ok, I need some clarification here.
                  Is drinking alcohol being bad for you one of those HCM things that isn’t 100%?
                  I have never seen this in any of my research. I specifically asked my cardiologist (not that her answer would mean anything).
                  I am not even close to a heavy drinker. I usually do 1-2 glasses of wine at a sitting. I would say that between my wife and myself, we average 1.5 bottles of wine per week.
                  An occasional beer, a once in a blue moon mixed drink, and probably 1-2 shots of something strong per year.
                  I have not noticed any negative reaction. Trust me I’ve looked for any correlation between my symptoms and ANY action that I’ve partaken in. Medium to strong efforts can cause my symptoms, but Zinfandel and Pinot Noir…nope.
                  Wine is one of my hobbies. It’s something my wife and I share (and since she’s a big fan of Reality TV, it’s actually one of the few things we share). We want to look forward to Wine Tour vacations in Italy, Spain, and Australia in the years to come.
                  Does alcohol just cause increased symptoms?
                  Would getting a myectomy to decrease or cut out symptoms make alcohol more of a possibility?
                  I hope this doesn’t come off as whining, but I have 75 bottles in my collection.
                  Fx

Comment

Felix - My Dad who has HCM is a wine collector and taster too. He still drinks some wine, but not in excess. On those occasions when he was advised not to drink when he was on meds which didn't mix with alcohol, or he was ill, he would taste and spit it out.

I think moderation if you have no bad effects is probably fine. Just be careful. I doubt that a myectomy would help this, but I might be wrong.
                    Daughter of Father with HCM
                    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Felix...

Originally posted by smelly_cat1234
                      my dad has alway told me drinking alocohol getting drunk is bad for my heart but i never readly believe him i guessed it was just one of him sad ways of him trying to stop me from drinkni ,im a teenage what can i saw but im been hsve quit a few chest pains its probble just clash of time but i was just wondering if it is true?
                      I think we're talking about two very different situations here...

Jim

Comment

I'll join in just briefly...

I didn't know that I had HCM in my early-late 20's and I drank too much on many a Friday or Saturday nights. When I look back, I wish I had known that I had it....I wouldn't have! Just a few years, my former cardiologist would say that I could have an occasional drink (because of the coumadin I was taking. ) He never mentioned because of the HCM ? My father had HCM and he liked his beer.....I think that attributed to him getting worse. He was lucky he lived to be 71 !
                        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

There is a published article (from Isrial about 5 yrs ago) on this subject. It showed that obstruction increases (sometimes even in those without resting obstr.) when drinking.
                          It is a vasodilater this is NOT good for HCM.

lisa
                          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                          Currently not obstructed
                          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I feel that I should add to my previous response...

The fact that i myself would tell ANYONE that they shouldn't drink alcohol with HCM, is very much like 'the pot calling the kettle black'. I'm an alcoholic, pure and simple, so my response to Margie's question is of course going to be based on staying the heck away from the stuff. I have to sometimes remind myself that there really are people out there who CAN have just one or two drinks, which is totally unfathomable to me personally. I'm sorry if my previous posts sounded a bit harsh.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                            X