If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

radio frequency ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio frequency ablation

how often is radio frequency ablation performed on HCM patients? Anyone had this procedure?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: radio frequency ablation

It is not that common - but it is something that works for some. It is really not that different than a radio frequency ablation in a "non HCM'er".

The TRICK is finding the pathway to ablate!

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

rfa on non-hcmers is very, very tricky because our heart tissue is not normal. cleveland clinic is doing some, but i wouldn't let just anyone do it.

s

Comment

Guys, I'm correcting what Sarah said. She meant to say HCM'ers not Non HCM'ers.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Roy had his AV node ablated a couple of years ago due to high heartrate noted immediately upon exertion during a stress test. There were other symptoms too, but the ablation wasn't a problem.

Comment

Yes, Reenie is correct. I was in a rush and meant to say "HCM'ers" there.

Also, please note that AV-node ablation is not what we are talking about here.

AV-node ablation is when the whole node is killed (this node is where all good heart beats start from ) and a pacemaker is installed to control heart _rate_. This is usually done to people who are in atrial fibrillation and medication doesn't work anymore and their heart rate is too high from it.

My brother and I, for example, are both in afib but have medication controlled rates from a beta-blocker.

RFA _for_ afib seeks to stop the afib from happening at all. It does this by ablation parts of the pulmonary veins where they find afib tends to come from in NORAML hearts. It may not always come from there in HCM hearts.

AV-node ablation does _not_ stop the afib. It simply keeps the rate in a specific rage. The afib continues to happen. The patient feels better b/c the rate is lower than before.

And NONE of this is to be confused with alcohol-septal ablation. Confused? Easy ---when you know "ablation" means "To remove by erosion, melting, evaporation, or vaporization." Ablation is the method, not the purpose or the site.

s

Comment

Cynthia, I didn't realize that you were speaking of any specific ablation. If it's an alcohol septal ablation, I can't be of any help -we haven't gone that route, but I'm sure someone will chime in who has had that procedure.

Sarah, the AV node is not the starting point for an electrical impulse. The SA (sinoatrial) node begins the electrical process, but I'm sure you knew that.

Comment

Yes, once again, being sloppy. The AV node is the way station for the electricty for the venricular contraction.

To paraphrase "Clinical Physiology Made Ridiculously Simple" (a real book, I swear), the heart beat originates in the sinoatrial node, which then spreads to the right and left atria for contraction. Those impluses then enter the atrioventricular node and then to specialiezd conducting fibetr to contract the ventricles. The SA and AV nodes act at different rates and act a backup fors each other in cases or errors on either part.

s

Comment

So let me do a check here...
                  We have ablations, ablations and ablations and they are all differnt procedures for different problems...RIGHT?.... YES That is right!
                  (ok I know I am talking to myself)

Radio Freq. Ablation
                  RFA - kills pathways

AV Node Ablation
                  AVA - Kills the entire AV node (the power sorce of the heart so to speak)
                  and ...
                  Alcohol Septal Ablation
                  ASA - for reduction of gradient in those with obstruction...

Just wanted to get that straight - NEXT time we all end up with a genetic condition - maybe it will be one that is a little easier to understand the treatments for!

Later!
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Well, I've gone and done it. I've agreed to the EP Study with possible RFA. I've had four episodes of Atrial-Flutters since Sept. 7. Can't figure out what starts them, just sitting doing nothing or giving the day my "all."

Dr. Lever set it up for me with my local cardiologists blessing. I will be leaving for Cleveland next week for the procedure. Not as excited about this as I was for the septal myectomy in 2000. I had the notion then that all would be just peachy after the myectomy - my mistake! So many surprises with HCM!

And I thought having five children, 50+ day-care kids, 10 grandchildren and a full-time job would have been enough excitement for me and the rest of my family. Who would of thought? LOL

Let you know how it turns out; although, it may be a waiting game to see if any of those errant impulses return.

Thanks for the help.

Dorothy
                    Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Dorothy - How long do your atrial flutters last, and what are your symptoms? I have had several episodes of these as well, and I have pre-syncope, but as mine only last 8 or 9 beats, my EP doesn't want to treat them.
                      Daughter of Father with HCM
                      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Dorothy, Best wishes, please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Cynaburst,

My "flutters" would last for hours. I would be going about whatever business I was doing and not be aware that I was even in the flutter mode. It just felt like a burst of energy; no chest hurting, no fainting, no dizziness, just a very rapid heart rate. If I didn't sit down every now and then, I wouldn't have even felt them. That was when I usually knew that I was in a-flutter. I even sat down to make out bills without knowing.

The first time, my husband and I were traveling. I was driving and we stopped for dinner. I had asked my husband if the car was acting strangely or was it just me. His answer was, "Me!" We stopped for the night, as I was extrememly tired. Soooooo, that was a long time before I got any medical attention. In fact, 20 hours is too long to wait for attention! Yes, I really got reamed for that episode. With drug treatment and the threat of cardioversion, I converted after some hours spent in the hospital. Each time, I've converted at the hospital with the drug therpy. Still, not pleasant if you don't like being there or having needles stuck into you for blood draws and IV's.

I know how lucky I've been. My brother and a sister have it much worse than I; and, they don't even have HCM! I was the Lucky One!

Dorothy
                          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X