If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Forum In Canada

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

karen Find out more about karen
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum In Canada

Hi, all I am just passing along this link, for any Canadians out there. There is a new site for HCM, with message board and information. Not many members though.
    Here is the link
    http://www.hcmac-heart.ca/home.htm
    Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Re: New Forum In Canada

Karen, actually it's not all that new, I posted there before I found this site and never got a response back.
    I go there every so often, but nothing seems to be happening there.
    Like you say there are not many members and maybe they need time to get going.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Comment

Hi Glen
      I had just joined that site a couple of days ago. I think there's like 2 people. LOL Hopefully it will get bigger. Have you joined? I think I'm called bigscorpioheart.....Look for me
      Tammy

Comment

I joined quite some time ago,but now I forget my password.
        Actually there must be 3 members, you, me and Karen.
        Did Tara contact you??
        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
        So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
        Good luck and stay well.
        Glen

Comment

Yes
          Tara was trying to arrange a get together. First date didn't work out and I forgot the date of the second. Do you know it?
          Tammy

Comment

I can not offer my support of the message board you have posted as they have not provided any information about moderators or monitoring of the data posted on the board.

We have visitors from all over the world here on this board.

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

If you are from Vancouver Island or in this area, please let me know, this is not the hub of great medical care that you might think it is </understatement> hahaha

Having friends with HCM here would mean a lot to me. Not to mention I only moved to Canada in 1999 so I do not understand how the health system here works at all, and I'm quite lost and have NOBODY to turn to at this point other than a service called BC Nurse Helpline and mostly they say go to the doctor.

If you're in the Vancouver Island area, let me know. Please and thank you.
              »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
              Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
              Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
              Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
              Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
              Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
              Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
              ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Hi Sue Ellen. I love your picture. I suggest you call Lisa Salberg. Her phone # is at the bottom of this page. She will help you get good medical care, put you in touch with other HCM'ers, and help you navigate through the Canadian health system. Welcome to the HCMA and we're here if you want to post more.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Please call me Deedee, I don't go by Sue Ellen unless someone is mad at me, LOL! I made it the same name I used on the old website but I really shouldn't have done that. Can my name be changed now?

Thanks for the welcome, yes I suppose I should call Lisa at some point. This famous phone call is sure mentioned a lot... sorta like ET phone home.

I took that pic of myself last Summer, on my 45th birthday, my eyes are crossed as the camera was too close but all in all, not bad for my age, hehe I don't think!

~Deedee

Comment

Dee Dee it is! You look great for 45. I was thinking more along the 25 line!

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks, I've been very lucky in this regard I think. Of course it wasn't that great when I was 25 and looked 12 but it's sure worthwhile now, especially considering my husband is quite a bit younger than I am.

Things that could have drawn me out and aged me horribly have not gotten out of hand. I was sick all year with gall bladder and cyst removal... these things are not taken care of ON THE DAY like is often the case south of the border, so I was incredibly lucky. I was told that my gallbladder operation had a 15 month waiting list but my wait was 8 months with only the last couple of months being the real escalation of just about everything I ate causing a problem. So I just skated on that one. I was in surgery 48 hours after talking to my surgeon due to a cancellation on someone else's part... probably someone who had waited for ages.

Well I spent all year under doctor's care, and now just at the end of it all, my heart decides to do it's butterfly dance *sigh* it's like I'm not meant to get back to my old life. This is going to take me YEARS to come to grips with as I'm a natural born foot-dragger. In 2002 I was extremely fit, I was playing a couple hours of tennis every other day and inbetween days I often went kayaking in the ocean. I was quite a few pounds lighter and felt great. Then 2003 was such a complete write-off and now I'm so nervous that 2004 might not be the return to my old life at all, but yet something else. Thinking all year that I can get back to my 2002 life has kept me going.

I just am so sick of doctors right now

~Deedee

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X