If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a MUGA test show if someone had HOCM?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jennvin Find out more about jennvin
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a MUGA test show if someone had HOCM?

One of my sisters-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001 and had this test done.

Her brother (my husband), her younger sister, her niece (my daughter) all have HOCM.

Re: Would a MUGA test show if someone had HOCM?

What is MUGA?

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Multiple Gated Acquisition - MUGA for short - measures how well your heart is functioning as a pump, much like an echo does, but more accurately. The MUGA measures how much blood your heart pumps, or "ejects" with each contraction (EF) and how quickly that blood is ejected. EF is actually figured with a mathematical formula : EF = (end diastolic volume - end systolic volume) divided by (end diastolic volume - background). The nuclear camera (gamma camera) can separate left heart function from right heart function by using a certain view, called left anterior oblique.

Because this test is very accurate for measuring EF, it is preferred by some doctors. However, MUGA equipment is both more scarce and more expensive than echo equipment. It requires an injection of a radioactive material and is also more uncomfortable for the patient. MUGA does not "see" valve disease as well as an echo. If you have lung disease, this is the test of choice to measure EF because echo does not work well for people with lung disease.
      Remember that with this test, images that are taken during irregular beats are rejected. That's why patients with multiple odd ventricular beats like PVCs require longer scan times to gather enough "good data." MUGA is not suited for patients with a really irregular heart rhythm. Echo has the same problem but not as badly.

It is not the best way to detect HCM, but if one has been done it would likely be abnormal in HCM.

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Is this similar to a nuclear stress test?

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

NO stress involved an the technology is different, so is the equipment.
          It is a very good test, but not a great diagnostic tool for HCM.

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Currently not obstructed

Comment

Thanks for answering Lisa. This question was asked for Dawn, she is the one who had the test done.

Comment

This statement is from Dawn to me after I had forwarded your replies:

"My doctor knew that my family had a history of HOCM and he was
              satisfied that I had already had the echo years ago but ordered the muga to make sure my heart was strong enough to with stand the chemo.

So I still think if I had it, something would have shown up at my late age...I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it as a diagnostic tool for someone younger. But I think if I had it, the test would have probably shown something "not right".....you know?"

Lisa,

Do you think her thinking is correct in her case?

Comment

I would still suggest a screening every 5 years.

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X