If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Contributor/Member from Pennsylvania

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Frank Find out more about Frank
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Contributor/Member from Pennsylvania

My name is Frank, and I was diagnosed with HOCM this past August. Over the past years I have had times with shortness of breath, light-headedness, palpatations, pain in the center of my chest when walking up inclines which I had credited to a possible haital hernia which has similar symtoms, and elevated high bp. I was on 100 mg of vasotec (enalapril) for my bp, and interestingly the echo doctor said that it may have cause my HOCM to worsen and suggested to my regular doc that I stop that and start a beta blocker.

I have had a heart murmur since I was a child. I am now 59. The murmur became louder this past summer with my increased dosage of enalapril which prompted the echo. I do have septal thickening causing the outflow obstruction, so I am now on Toprol XL 50 mg per day and reduced physical activity.

I am spending the winter months in the southwest and flying back to PA next month. My short start there will include an appt with the cardiologist. I have switched from the one who did the original echocardiogram to one at Hershey Med. who is listed as a resource person for HCMA. I have not seen him before, but look forward to his own diagnosis and medication adjustments, if any.

Over the past two months, I have been reading the posts on the message board. I finally joined in recently. I thank you all for being here and for being available to us.

Frank

Re: New Contributor/Member from Pennsylvania

Frank,
    Welcome aboard! I hope you have a good visit to your new doctor. The beta blockers are a much better drug for you, I am glad to see that switch was made.

Best wishes,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Welcome, Frank. I'm glad that you're getting more appropriate care now. Keep us posted on your progress.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Frank welcome to our board, hope you continue to feel well, this is a wonderful site with alot of suport
        Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Frank. We are almost neighbors. I live in Lancaster. I was diagnosed with HCM in my early thirties. Last fall I went to the cardiologist you will be seeing in Hershey for an evaluation/second opinion. I found him to be wonderfully caring, patient with all my questions, and ready to take as much time as I needed. You will certainly be in good hands!

If you want we could connect on the side or chat by phone when you are back in the area. Let me know by PM if that is something you would be interested in.

Peace,

Leon
          God Squad co-moderator
          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Working...
          X