If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andrew's 6 month appointment

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dolly (Andrew's mom) Find out more about Dolly (Andrew's mom)
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Re: Andrew's 6 month appointment

Re the battery life - I too am heading down the road to replacement - 4 months ago they said - maybe in 6 mo to a year. Last week at the check the battery was at the same point as it had been. SOUNDS THE SAME?? Odd but true!

I was told and me being me...researched this to death... that the battery sometimes runs down rather fast and then balances off - why?? no one really knows...but heck no surgury for either of us this fall/winter!!!

RE the septal measurement - he is still growing - - the numbers are likely to change. I would not read too much into the numbers as there is an error/reading difference of .2 on most tests - therefore the last one could have really been 2.8 and this one maybe as well. Check in 6 months and that will help figure out the numbers -

Yes, I am happy he has the ICD with his measurements that high and still growing, but lets hope he never needs it

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Dolly (Andrew's mom)
    replied

Thanks Midge and Reenie.

Midge your reply made me feel MUCH better! I was confused enough before I asked the tech "why" the depletion rate suddenly stopped completely, and even more confused after he said it confuses him too!

At least I know it is not that unusual now!!! So I feel better and will just chalk it up to yet another mystery of modern technology.

Leave a comment:

• Midge Rollins
    replied

Dolly, those ICD replacement times can be tricky. I was told the same thing as Andrew and would you believe mine went 2 years past the time they said it would they had told me to plan on it in 3 months. So every 3 months for 2 years I planned on it. Finally did it last April. Sometimes we are like the ever ready bunny we just keep on ticking. They do not know why but sometimes the battery just plateus off and continues. Even when it is at its end you have 30 days before they need to replace it. They did tell me if I had lots of firings it would make a difference and to let them know. Just wanted you to know it is not unusual. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

I'm glad that you have no impending surgery! Yayy!

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Dolly (Andrew's mom)
    started a topic Andrew's 6 month appointment

Andrew's 6 month appointment

Well we got a bit of a shock (and confusion) today at Andrew's appointment. At his last ICD interrogation 6 months ago we were told if it continued on the course it was taking at that time to expect a replacment around Nov due to a depleting battery. They interrogated his ICD today and the battery has not depleted one bit since his appointment in April! The 6 months prior to the appointment in April the battery had depleted at a rather quick rate, they "thought" from pacing, and they just assumed it would continue to deplete at that rate and would be running out this month and had us prepared for surgery this fall. But for some reason it has not changed a bit since April! I asked why that would be and they could not answer my question. He had no clue why it all of sudden stopped depleting the battery. They are going to leave it in for now (no surgery!!) and went through the steps we are to take if his ICD alarm goes off (alerting us of a low battery) before he is scheduled to be seen again next April.

He also had a echo today. His septum size has increased more then I expected in the past 12 months. It has gone from 2.6 cm to 3.0 cm. It has been averaging about .1 cm - .2 cm increase per year and this past year it increased .4 cm. I was concerned about the rate of septal increase, but the cardiologist didn't seem too concerned and said to come back in the usual 6 months. He did stress to Andrew it is extremely important that he not miss his daily atenonol though. He also looked at Andrew in a reassuring way and said "We all should be relieved you have that ICD in there!"

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X