If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Insurance pre screening

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Insurance pre screening

[Life Insurance pre screening]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 04-27-02 13:31

This posting is geared to those families who are currently going through the screening process to determine who may have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.A very commonly overlooked item at the time of screening is life insurance. By no means should someone assume that because we're discussing the purchasing of life insurance prior to being screened for HCM, that diagnosis of HCM is some kind of a death sentence. It does however make good financial sense to purchase life insurance prior to the diagnosis of a serious medical condition.

If you purchase the life insurance prior to screening or diagnosis you have been truthful and honest and disclose all available information and therefore should receive the best rates possible based on your health. However, if one waits until he or she has been screened for HCM and it has been determined that the person has HCM the insurance rates are going to go way out and in some cases are costs prohibitive.

If you're having a child screened it would be well advised to purchase a policy for that child so they would have the opportunity to have coverage of their own when they reach adulthood.

Further, you should always remember to maximize your life insurance available through your employer as most group policies are "guaranteed issue" and the costs are much more affordable than individual policies. However, not all policies are transferable if you were to leave your employer. Therefore it is important to find out if the plan allows you to continue the policy upon your termination from the company.

When we're dealing with living with HCM, sometimes, we get caught up in all the physical manifestations of this disease. It is easy to forget that we must continue living our lives, taking care for families in all the other things that go along with living, the good and bad.

This is simply food for thought.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Life Insurance pre screening]

Author: Steve (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-27-02 17:26

People, Pay head to this information. As a person with HCM, I am now on disability and my work life insurance has ended and I can not get life insurance now. Thank God we did get my son started on a policy, and to date he is getting regular screenings and is HCM free. Take the time to take care of buisness!

Author: Kim (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)

Date: 04-28-02 23:24

HI, I can also support this comment. My husband is diagnosed with HCM (in his 20's) and he had a very small life insurance policy that was started because he had a friend starting in the insurance business. To put money aside for life insurance when you are young and healthy (and usually poor too!) wasn't a priority. Later, he was diagnosed with HCM and has not been able to receive life insurance. Please heed this advice.

Author: Paul Murphy (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-29-02 17:50

Thanks for bringing up this topic. After our 12 year old was diagnosed (we have no family history of HCM) last fall I decided to get more life insurance coverage for myself. I was of course truthful in my application, but they just ask about your parent's medical history and not about your children's! I've never had an echo myself, but I suppose that I should now that I have the new insurance in place.

Our three year old daughter had an initial echo that thankfully proved clear and I'll now take steps to start a policy for her. One question: how often should she get an echo during childhood to make sure that she doesn't have HCM?

thanks,

Paul

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-29-02 18:41

Dear Paul

Every 1-2 years while they are still growing and 2-5 years in their 20s.

I'm pretty confident about those numbers, but Lisa is the final authority and I'll have her weigh in shortly.

Sarah

Author: lisa (208.47.172.---)

Date: 04-30-02 12:59

When they are very little - under 9 or 10 you can normally go every 2-3 years until puberty, then annually until age 20-25yrs then it is wise to check in every 5 years with a cardiologist.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

Author: Paul (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)

Date: 04-30-02 15:23

From your lips to God's ear, Lisa.

I would make the same recommendation with respect to disability insurance.

As others have noted, one must be considered to be disabled from doing virtually ANY job in order to qualify for SSDI. Furthermore, SSDI awards tend to be rather small compared to the claimant's current income, which can create a financial hardship, particularly at a time when his/her medical expenses may be rising.

When I became unable to continue working in 1998, I was fortunate to have private insurance that covered me based on my disability to continue working in my profession.

Unfortunately, I was unable to purchase disability coverage before I had a disqualifying diagnosis, but I was able to acquire this individial policy by converting a group policy provided by a previous employer.

I was also recently able to purchase long-term care insurance without medical underwriting through my spouse's employer.

My life insurance is very expensive, but I acquired all of it by converting the group policies provided by previous employers.

Of course I'd rather be healthy, but there are ways in which we are sometimes still able to get insurance even after a disqualifying medical diagnosis.

Paul
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X