If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at my medical records and have a question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

KathyG Find out more about KathyG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at my medical records and have a question

I was looking at my medical records and just saw some entries in an echo report from 1999. Was hoping someone could tell me what these entries mean. I'll quote them exactly from the report:

Under conclusions it says:

"Focal Hypertrphy of the basilar septum with no evidence of outflow obstruction"

Does that mean that back in 1999 I had HCM? If not what does it mean?

My current echo report from July 2003 says under conclusionsw that:

"Mild left atrial enlargement" Does anyone know what that means.

Also in the 99 report it says under conclusions"Slightly thickened Aortic valve with normal function" In the 2003 report under conclusions it says "Normal Aortic valve" Does anyone understand the contradiction and if an Aortic Valve is slightly thickened what does that mean?

I'm still out of work after having the myectomy and defeb put in and maybe I'm obsessing over all this stuff.

Any answers would be appreciated

Kathy

Re: Looking at my medical records and have a question

Since nobody else has taken this one up, let me give it a try:

Yes, that sounds like HCM in 1999. And I guess the obstruction developed since then. BTW, what was your gradient before the myectomy?

Mild left atrial enlargement is par for the course for HCM patients. Nothing out of the ordinary as long as it stays mild.

There might not be a contradiction at all - both say that the aortic valve function is normal (which is what matters).

From the little I have learnt I do not see anything that would concern me at all if I were you. Check with your cardiologist since he is the best person to answer these questions.

Comment

Thank you for your response....Before the mycetomy my resting gradient was 110 mg after valvuls(and I have no idea what that means) it was 144 mg.

In 1999 I was told that I didn't have anything to worry about because all that was wrong was that I had a very common problem with the mitral valve. I was never told that there was anything more serious and I was never referred to a cardiologist. If they knew I had HCM shouldn't they have referred me to a cardiolgist? Just wondering if I could have avoided the surgeries if I was diagnosed earlier? Please, anyone give me your honest opinion. Thanks for your help.

Kathy

Comment

Dear Kathy,

Yes, the 99 report means that the base of your septum was thick---HCM.

I don't know why your valve would be thick and then normal. As long as the valve is working normally and you don't have back flow, I wouldn't worry about it.

No, you would not have avoided surgery if you were diagnosed earlier since there is nothing that prevents the heart walls from getting thicker. It is an either or thing, _not_ a "if we'd only gotten there in time!" thing.

Your gradient is a measure of the blood pressure in your heart from the obstruction your septum caused. 144 is really, really high. You were right to get surgery.

I hope you are feeling better.

take care,

seb

Comment

oh, yes, i'm not surprised in the slightest that they saw a valve problem, said "mitral valve prolapse" (a very common and usually benign problem) and sent you on your way without looking too closely.

happens far too often.

s

Comment

Thanks for the replies. When I went to the cardiologist in July 2003 and she gave me the diagnosis she discussed treatment options with me and at that time she said that medication could retard the growth of the obstruction but it would not reduce it. That was why I was wondering if I had been put on medication in 99 that it may have retarded the growth of the obstruction.

I am very grateful that I was correctly diagnosed and that I had the surgery because I do feel 100% better. Prior to the surgery I was so lightheaded that I thought I was going to pass out several times. The closest I cam to passin out was during a stress test. It was very scary. Since the surgery the lightheadedness is completely gone and I am hopeful that it won't come back.

Again....thanks for the founders of this message board. I have truly learned a lot because of your efforts.

Kathy

Comment

dear kathy,

there is some evidence that beta-blockers can retard hypertrophy, but 4 years is not really long enough to have made a big difference, especially with a gradient over 140!

you still should have gotten the right treatment at the right time, but it is more likely that you just would've had the surgery sooner, rather than later.

take care,

s

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
              X