If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dehydration

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dehydration

[dehydration]

Author: Ronnie (---.tnt1.columbus.ms.temp.da.uu.net)

Date: 04-25-02 19:03

anyone have any info on how dehydration affects people with HCM. I work outside for a living and dehydration is just part of life. My doctor told me to not get dehydrated. Thanks for any info..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: dehydration]

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-25-02 22:33

Dear Ronnie

The heart resides in a liquid-filled pouch called the pericardium. The electro-chemcial reaction needed to pump your heart relies on potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium. These mineral salts are the first things lost when you lose water. Dehydration can also lower your blood pressure and can affect the pericardium eventually.

Sports drinks contan high levels of these chemcials --called electrolytes. Gatorade, Sportade, etc. But they also have a lot of sugar. Glaceau water makes Smart Water that is water with electrolytes and no sugar.

Working outside shouldn't preclude you from getting enough water. They now make a water bottle that you wear like a back pack and it has a sippy straw so if you can't use your hands, you can still drink. Sports stores should have this, especially climbing or biking type stores.

It really is important to get enough water. You can also buy water bottle carriers with over the shoulder straps.

take care,

Sarah

Author: Sue (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-26-02 18:34

Hi Ronnie:

My son is 14 with HOCM.......what I can tell you is that when Derick has not drank enough he feels horrible. I encourage him to drink drink drink. Mostly water. When Derick gets a stomach bug.....its very scarey as he gets weak, dizzy etc. Thank God other than his heart, he's a very healthy kid other wise. I was glad that you mentioned it as it has always been a huge issue with him.

Take Care, Sue

Author: Pat (---.digitaldune.net)

Date: 04-27-02 00:28

Ronnie,

HCM is a pathology which creates a "diastolic dysfunction." This means that when the heart is resting between beats, it cannot function as well as a normal heart would function. During the resting (diastolic) phase the left ventricle fills with blood from the left atrium. In a diastolic dysfunction it receives less blood than it would normally so it then has less blood to pump to the body when it beats. In dehydration the blood volume drops simply because of fluid loss, creating another situation in which the heart has less blood to pump with each beat..

Those of us with HCM face double jeopardy with dehydration. We will suffer many more symptoms because much less blood (and the oxygen & nutrients the blood carries to our tissues) is pumped to the body with each beat. The blood pressure will often drop, too, adding to the problem.

I myself live in a hot desert climate where dehydration is the norm for most people, just as it is for most people who work outdoors as you do. I have learned to drink sufficient water throughout the day to keep my urine very light yellow. Frequent trips to the toilet seem to me to be a fairly small price to pay to have fewer episodes of dizziness, visual distortions, and shortness of breath!

Good luck,

Pat

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 04-27-02 12:45

Bravo...

these explanations of dehydration are extraordinary. HCM patients never fail to amaze me with their ability to learn how to take care of their own bodies.

The overwhelming message here is drink drink drink drink drink (but not alcohol).

Best wishes and keep well hydrated.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X