If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrophysiologic Study

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dorothy Find out more about Dorothy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrophysiologic Study

I would appreciate any input about the EP study. I had a myectomy in Aug. of 2000. Am now on Toprol XL, 150 mg., once daily; along with a full aspirin. No other meds, at this point.

Problem arose in Sept 2003 with A-flutters. Was put on Sotalol, but taken off while still in hospital - liver enzymes rose too high. Unfortunately, I had another episode of A-flutters Oct., too. At this time the EP study was ordered. I have been in contact with Dr. Lever in Cleveland to set up this appointment. I haven't heard back from his office, as yet.

Has anyone had this done? And, if so, was a radio frequency ablation performed at that time? My concern is I also have a left-bunch bundle block. How does this play into the picture? If you kill a route that works, even if not well, what happens??????? I guess I'm just a bit concerned.

Lisa, thanks for our phone conversations. As yet, I've not been put on Coumadin. I guess they are waiting for the test to be performed before starting anything different. I have been taking the aspirin before bedtime, as you suggested. I had another EKG with my downstate cardiologist. It was the first time that I saw those "skipped" beats on record!

Thanks for any input.

Dorothy
    Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Re: Electrophysiologic Study

Hi,

Let me be clear on one item, Dorothy's doc suggested the asprin. The timeing of when to take it was discussed.
    Re the EP test, I would speak to Dr. Lever as he is the one who treated you in the past and knows your case well.

Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

D--

i second the motion to check with Dr. Lever. ep studies are rarely useful in HCM patients. they also carry their own risks, too. if they are looking for sudden death risk, then they should evaluate you on the known risk factors instead of turning your heart off an on.

my two cents.

s

Comment

I spoke to Dr. Lever, he is home today and is a little under the weather. He should be back in the office next week. I would give him a follow up call on Tuesday.

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Currently not obstructed

Comment

Lisa and Sarah, thanks for your input. I shall try to be more patient and wait until Dr. Lever can review my history and talk directly with me. When I get a thought going, I try to run with it to find answers quickly. Not always a good strategy.

I'll keep you posted as events happen. Sorry to hear that Dr. Lever is under the weather. We've already had snow up here in the "North" country! Just snow showers! I'll try not to send any your way; but, I don't have the final say on that!

Dorothy
          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Dorothy - I am interested to hear what your doctors recommend. I have also been experiencing atrial flutters. I already have an ICD and I didn't have an EP study to help me decide, but I wonder whether an ablation might cure the problem. My doctors are very hesitant to give me antiarrythmic drugs because they say that it can cause worse problems that I already have.

I have also started taking one aspirin a day.
            Why did Lisa suggest you take it at night? I take mine in the morning.

Please keep me posted. Best of luck.

Cynthia
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

In this case many docs would use a stronger blood thinner. In this case Dorothy said she could feel events coming on, we discussed that this would be difficult if she was sleeping...so that was a simple suggestion.

Anyone in A/F really should be on thinners. I think her doctors will be dealing with this soon.

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

I am actually taking the aspirin to keep my blood pressure up and my volume higher. As an added bonus, I figured I might as well get the anticoagulation (I was previously taking Motrin for the same reason.) I am only having up to 8 or 9 beats at a time, so I am not being treated for the atrial arrythmia as of yet. It is just very disconcerting, and I am paranoid, as my dad has had 2 strokes.
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Cyn, I know how weird that feels. My arrhythmias were described in my records as "possible atrial flutter" & "probable atrial flutter." When I asked Lisa what that meant, she said that there is debate if there is any difference betwwen atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation that isn't sustained. I hated that feeling.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie - Did you ablation cure the arrythmia? Did you ever feel like fainting, or did you? (I know you don't have HCM, but sympathy is nice!)
                    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

It did cure me. I haven't had an episode since the ablation and I'm unmedicated. You know, I never fainted. I would feel sort of weak, maybe a little nauseous, but mostly a little disoriented. You have to remember, though, that I felt this way since I was a small child and I didn't know any different. It never scared me. Maybe that's because I always had it and I thought it was normal. I think if I had them start as an adult I might describe the feeling and fear differently. Know what I mean? Like many here, I didn't know that I was the weird one that felt my heart beat when others couldn't.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

I just want to pipe in that Reenie's ablation, in case anyone reading this doesn't know, was NOT an alcohol septal ablation, but a radio frequency ablation for an arrhythmia. No septal tissue was involved, as she doesn't have HCM.

R--I'm your official footnoter! I hope you don't mind.

s

Comment

No problem, Sarah. I need somebody checking up on me.

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X