If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

forceful beats

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forceful beats

does anyone get a "forceful" beat that you can feel with a premature beat? I can feel them when I'm sitting here. Has anyone seen a difference in the way a beta blocker works for you? For example, if you took 125 mg. of atenolol...take 50 mg. in the am./25 mg. in aft./50 mg. evening and change the amount taken to 50 mg. in the a.m. and 75 mg. in the evening.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: forceful beats

c

everyone is different, so dosing is going to vary by how much you weigh, your metabolism, which beta-blocker you take, what you symptoms are, etc etc etc. while it is good to share experiences, so we can learn from each other, specific dosing information is not as helpful and could be dangerous. how you take you meds needs to be worked out with your doctor and based on what works for you.

everyone i know with HCM has felt their heart beat really hard sometimes. it can be alone, or with other symptoms or palpitations. as long as it isn't going on for hours or is painful, it is pretty much par for the course.

having palpitations can be very scary, but they are part and parcel with the HCM experience and it is unlikely that you will be able to medicate them away 100%.

in general, if your heart rate is between 60-80 and your overall pulse is regular, then you have little to worry about. if you are actually in an arrhythmia (eg atrial fibrillation or tachycardia) then you need to call the doctor.

take care,

s

Comment

Cynthia,

I don't have HCM but have had some arrythmia problems and have certainly felt my heart beat. When I was younger and much thinner you could literally watch my shirt move with my heart sometimes. It's just something that you need to inform your doctor about and let him/her help you address. You may never fully get rid of the feeling, but you may be able to reduce it.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

In short...Yes, I was diagnosed at 12 with HCM and thought that "big BOOM" was "normal"...well to me it is and I feel it EVERYDAY...sometimes 2-4 sometimes 100-200 times...I now wonder if I would be concerned if I did not feel it???

Some meds help minimize these events work with your doc...as you know we are all a little differnt!

lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

thanks guys. Dr. M. called me back this afternoon and wants me to wear a Holter monitor for 48 hrs....just to make sure basically the same thing is going on before as in May when I wore an event monitor for a month. (before we do anything with changing meds). So I'm waiting for my PC's doctor's nurse to call me back to set up an appt. to have it hooked up. Now I'll be a wreck waiting for those results. I don't FEEL any different but have a lot more "skipped" beats and sometimes a forceful beat.
          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

you know i've had those hard beats for some time now, I feel 4 or 5 real hard and fast beats at least 4 to 6 times a day, more so on really bad days it just depends on how i feel, the only time i worry is when i have pain with them, and that is also on my list for Dr. Gilligan, everytime i would bring the suject up of forceful beats to my old cardio dr. he would listen to my heart and say your ok, i would just give him a weird look, and think to myself unbelievable. Does anyone get a really hard and fast heart beat that last sometimes for anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes I get that way from time to time, it doesn't matter what i'm doing i can just be sitting and doing nothing, when i feel it i take my pulse and it's usually over 105, but when the episode is over pulse goes back down in the 70s, any ideas, i try to watch my caffine intake. in fact i've cut that out completly, my husband teases me and says i'm going thru withdrawl I used to be a caffine junky

Take Care
            Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Shirley, I used to get the really hard fast beats that don't last too long. Usually my longest period would be about 3 minutes. Lots of people feel this. In fact, some of the latest episodes I've had were when my husband was diagnosed with HCM. The doctor determined that the stress I was under was part of what was making it happen. Watch what happens right before the episodes and document it. This will help the doctors help you.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Cynthia,

I hate what i'm about to say even before i say it, because it just sounds so freaking generic.... BUT i really do think it simply takes time to figure out what's normal for your own body. Not that long ago, i'd wake up in the middle of the night with wacky heartbeats, just knowing i was going to die at any moment, and start giving serious consideration about whom i was going to leave my old ABBA albums to. Now that i've established what i consider to be my normal operating parameters, i know now that i'm going to have wacky heart days where i seem to have PVC's every five minutes... and then i'm going to have days where i have few or none. I take 100mg of atenolol a day, which does a very good job of controlling most of my HCM symptoms, but i still get the forceful beats like you mentioned. Like Lisa said, at least for me, it is highly variable. But i think i know now when my heart is just being 'normally' wacky... and when it's time to go to the emergency room.

Jim
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thank you Reenie

I had one today after i talked to my sister-in-law, her daughter also has HCM, she had the ablation done 2 years ago, it took away her obstruction but 2 months later she passed out at work, and was told that her entire heart was double the size it should be, her mother took her back to Houston TX, to see Dr. Spencer, they took another Echo and told her and my sister in law that there wasn't anything they could do for her, now Sandy my neice has given up partly because of financal reasons. I told her that she had to fight, she has 4 children to fight for, the only thing she is on is a calcium channel blocker, Her mother has told her she would even pay the difference of what ever the insurance didn't pay, her teeth are falling out and she had such pretty teeth, they found out it was from the long use of the med, oh and she takes a baby asprin daily, which i don't think is good enough, i think she developed a heart block, her mother says she needs lasix also she is so swollen she can hardly walk, i may have to go home and convince her in person, because i know there are thing the dr.s can do for her, i'm worried she is giving up like her father did, my brother. I told my sister in law she could say to her what my husband said to his mother when she wouldn't go to the dr. he said mom we can walk out of this house like 2 adults or i throw you over my shoulder kicking and screaming, either way your going, so the choice was hers. he put the ball in her court
                  Take care shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Shirley, continue to document everything that's happening around the time you have those feelings. Did you just eat, did you just get bad news, were you just watching tv, what were you watching..... The list goes on. That will help you and the doctor both be able to determine what your triggers might be.

I'm sorry to hear about your niece. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X