If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oldest survivors of HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldest survivors of HCM

Does anyone know someone who has HCM and is in their 70's or even older?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: oldest survivors of HCM

We have many members in there 70's, a few in their 80's and even a few in to their 90's!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They are who I strive to be

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes. I'm pretty sure my husband's grandmother has HCM after seeing her echo report, her septum is 1.8. Doctors haven't ever confirmed it because when they did the echo she was already 90. She'll be 91 on Nov 7th.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

There is a paper about HOCM in the old and they had mentioned a study on a 90 something woman.

Comment

I wonder what sport she played? Just kidding!!!!!! Let's not go there!!!!
          I am interested however in hearing more about longevity with HCM because I want every HCM'er to live to 100. I like hearing about these cases, they are reassuring.

Take care Folks.

Comment

thanks for your responses. I was just curious. I figured medicine has advanced so much with treatment of HCM as opposed to years ago, so hearing about these people is good news
            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I'm 55 now and going for 100, Bert, I'll let you know when I get there.
              Yes it would be nice to have the elders over 70 post here and let us know how HCM has or has not affected them.
              Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
              So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
              Good luck and stay well.
              Glen

Comment

I am not over 70, but my Dad is. He is 71, and still going strong. I am not going to tell you that he has been unaffected by his HCM, but he has lived a full life which has not been substantially limited by this disease.

He didn't have any trouble until middle age, and while he does need meds adjustment and tweaking every so often, he gets along fine in between.
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hey Glen!

I sincerely hope that you get there too! Besides, it may take that long before the Maple Leafs win another Stanley Cup.

Take care,

Bert

Comment

My Mom has HCM and is 75 years old. She had an early pacemaker installed in the 1970's. She has done very well, even better than me. She doesn't have problems with her mitral valve leaking and congestive heart failure, like I do.

Dolly Y

Comment

Ouch, that's nasty Bert.
                      They haven't had a great start, but heck they won last night.
                      Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                      Good luck and stay well.
                      Glen

Comment

Sorry Glen... I have no room to talk, my Habs haven't exactly set the world on fire. I'm dying to see a canadian team bring the Cup back some day. Do you think Quinn will last very long?

Take care,

Bert

Comment

Hey Montreal is 4 & 2, that's not bad.
                          There's already talk the players have quit on him and nobody thinks Rick Ley his assistant is any good, he looks after the defence and it's stunk ever since he's been doing it.
                          Toronto media can get very vicious when it comes to the leafs and they are already stirring the pot to get rid of him. Quinns been here a long time with no results, in fact it looks like they are getting worse and the fans are getting restless. Look at the way they got booed the other night, it was probably good they got out of town for a few games, hopefully they can work the kinks out before they come back.
                          If they don't start improving fast, they won't blame the players nor the GM, because he is just new, it'll all come down on Quinn.
                          You never know for Quinn it maybe naw naw ney ney so long.
                          I think Ottawa or Vancouver are better bets than our bums.
                          Good luck and stay well.
                          Glen

Comment

here's my self-interested question: do we know of older hcm'ers with septal measurements >30mm?

the generic info that's available isn't very encouraging ( ) for those of us with >30 mm maximal septal thickness, and of course there's going to be no way for me to know till i come up against it (i turn 34 in 5 months). as my friends will tell you this (expecting to get to 50 and seeing how much further i go) is a galactic change from where i was when i was diagnosed a little over a year ago (i expected to die or go into decline at any moment!).

now, i fully expect that with all the gene and stem-cell research there will suddenly be a quantum/exponential leap in research knowledge and they'll be able to grow me a new heart out of my backside!

Comment

My hopes are that all of us live to be a 100 years old and they find a cure for us.

Have a great weekend

Shirley
                              Diagnosed 2003
                              Myectomy 2-23-2004
                              Husband: Ken
                              Son: John diagnosed 2004
                              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                              X