If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

over medicated?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over medicated?

I don't know how to explain the last two months but I am happy about it. When I was feeling so bad that I could not work I thought things probably couldn't get worse than they were. After being out of work for two months my savings was completely gone and I had no money for any of my medications. Unfortuantly, I could not get help from any one since I still had health insurance. The way of the world I guess.

Anyhow, I started to feel better. I was very weary at first just thinking it would be very short lived. Days turned to weeks and soon I was feeling good enough I went back to work. As soon as I got my paycheck I went to fill my scripts but decided to wait a little longer to see if I kept getting better and stronger. I did! I finally confided in my friend John who I thought for sure was going to kill me. Except he also noticed the change. He did strongly urge me to call up Dr. Maron in Boston to see what he would think about it.

I did and we had a discussion today. He said that if I felt that good without the medicine that I could try going without it. He told me that the medicine was to make me feel better if it didn't then I shouldn't take it. I also have an ICD so he said that that would be good enough protection for now. Also, at the first sign of any problems I was to call him back.

I am very thankful with this turn of events. But in no way am I insinuating that anyone should stop taking their medication. I had no help to get the medicine so it was out of necessity that I did without. I do wonder however, if some of us have gotten over medicated and that is why some of us do feel so bad. Just a thought.

I do know that with this new found health I am not going to take it for granted. I am going to enjoy every minute that I feel well. I assumed that the medication was for the rest of my life. I guess I am just expressing how abnormal I am !

Sorry for such a long post but has anyone else experienced miraculous turn of events like this?

Mary

Re: over medicated?

Good for you Mary... i'm glad to hear you're feeling better!
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Mary

I to have weened myself off the meds because i didn't trust the last doctor, he said at one time i was well advanced into the disease when they found it, and two weeks ago he said i had a very mild case, so i've been feeling like you very tired, i called my PCP and he said if you felt better before the meds than ween yourself off of them for now, i also have an ICD and he said that would protect me for now. i see another doctor on the 30th, he said discuss this with him. i too feel a little better each day Take care
      Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

This can happen... and sometimes more often then you think...
        I have talked to many people who have been feeling really bad..so a doc may add a med...and they are feeling bad...so meds again....
        Sometimes with HCM symptoms come in cycles and the meds make us better during these cycles...then if we feel better... the meds are there...if a cycle rolls around again and the symptoms are a little dif. new meds may be added.
        From time to time it is a good idea (WITH YOUR DOCTOR) to reevaluate medications and see if there maybe a new mix that works..or if something should be cut.

Mary---GLAD to hear you are feeling better...am I gonna see you next month?
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

But of Course! I wouldn't miss it for the world. You came up to Boston to meet me the least I can do is go ten miles! Have you guys figured out what Kind of food your looking for? They have everything down there. From the artery clogging Johnny Rocket's to the very nice restaraunts. You name it they got it!

Who else is coming

Mary S.

Comment

Is it the 8th or 9th? I think I put in to have the 9th off! I can still change it though. Disney wants day off request 3 weeks in advance! Gotta love the mouse!

Mary

Comment

M

What about school? Did you storm the citadel and get your start date moved up?

Oh, and about that interview? You SOOO need an employment lawyer. I hope you can scout around and see if there is anyone doing pro bono employment law in your area. That is such cr*p, I can't stand it.

I wrote a whole screed and the computer ate my post. I realized that the touch pad on my laptop was set to double-click from double-touches and this would (for whatever reason) delete all my post text from time to time). So at least I fixed that.

I'm really glad you are feeling better. Medication is a funny thing. THey just don't know what is going to work and your situation changes. The body changes, so we have to take that into account.

take care,

s

Comment

Mary,
                are you referring to beta blockers? It's time again for me to give Dr. Maron a call. I was thinking of the same thing the other day. I've already doubled my atenolol and the last thing I want to do is to increase the dose. I swear since I've been on a higher dose, I've been getting premature beats a lot more. I'm not used to getting so many. I was going to ask him if I take the doses differently (as opposed to splitting it up 3 x day), if possibly it would make a difference. Glad you are feeling well! take care
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

No, I am one of the weird HCMers I did not respond at all to the traditional drugs. I took Verapamil, Isordil, K-Dur, Lasix. Which in most cases the long acting nitrate is contraindicated.

Sarah, I am still working on the school issue! It looks like it could be affirmative action at work. We're looking into it. I'm not too upset now because I'll have two semesters to finish up my AA. I've only 12 more hours to go for it.

As far as Disney is concerned I'm not focusing on them right now. I want to try to get on with a hospital. Also in six months I'll be eligible to get on with Polk County EMS. After six months of volunteering you have the option to work there! So Disney is not the only place in the world to work!

Hope to see everyone who is coming to Orlando real soon!

Mary

Comment

I will check my schedual and get back to you all in a day or so...
                    I hope to see a few of you Florida folk while I am there!
                    Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Currently not obstructed

Comment

you should know that beta-blocker can cause palpitations, too. talk to your doctor. as Mary's doctor said, the point is to feel better and if that means reducing a dose, so it goes.

s

Comment

Mary, I am glad you are feeling better. I hope this will be the wave of the future. I think the less sepent on meds is the best. Good luck getting on with the other job. Have a grate day and will talk soon.
                        Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Well, That was short lived. No medicine in all. I was doing a ten hour shift and was getting to in to my shows. I started having chest pains. But I am too stupid to quit someitmes. So I tried to finish off the last two shows of the night bad idea! I could not get the chest pain to go away even with a half an hour of rest and deep breathing. So I ended up in the hospital. I had elevated Toponin I levels which indicated more ischemia. So I got to spend two days in the hospital.

Of course my local cardiologist nearly went through the roof when he found out I was off of the meds. So he did make a convincing story and he put me on a small amount of beta-blocker and back on verapamil. I guess two drugs are better than four. Except this beta-blocker has wiped me out I have been sleeping all day and my resting heart rate dropped from the mid-80s to the low 50's. He did say that the specific one he prescribed after a few days will not affect the sharpness of mind. Which is nice being in school and all!

Oh well, can't wait to see everyone on the 8th!

Mary

Comment

Beta blockers tend to make you tired for the first few days then balance off a bit...not saying that fatigue is not a long term issue...but you should "wake-up" a bit in a few days.
                            Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

How DOES a doctor know if you are "over medicated"???
                              \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X