If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie.....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie.....

[Newbie.....]

Author: Christi (66.141.203.---)

Date: 04-24-02 19:26

Hi! I'm Christi from Oklahoma. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy after having a child 9 years ago. Even today, after having it for so long, I don't know alot about it. Cardiologists having told me alot other than do not have any more kids. I have been asked if I had a bad virus as a child but it's uncertain exactly why I have cardiomyopathy. I get very discouraged by the doctors I have gone to.

My pvc's used to be uni-focal and are now multi-focal. I get dizzy several times a day. I'm taking 50 mg of Toprol but it's not fixing the dizziness. My ejection fraction is 35%. And I'm having problems with shaking. Does anyone else get shakey? A doctor I work with told me that Toprol is sometimes given to treat shaking so it's weird that I'm shaking and I'm already on the medication. I also wonder why my cardiologist doesn't put me on Lassix. I took it before when I was seeing someone else.

I would love to hear from others! I don't talk about my problems much to my family. And even my co-workers don't know how hard it is for me to just get my work done sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Newbie.....]

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-25-02 00:07

Dear Christi

It sounds like you are in dire need of seeing somone who _knows_ HCM and can treat you properly. Please call the office at 973-983-7429 between 8 and 8 EST to get the name of someone near you.

HCM is genetic. Whether you are a fluke or not, it is genetic. You must have your child tested (echocardiogram) every year till she/he is in her 20s and then every few years b/c it shows up later in life and can go without symptoms for a long time.

Has anyone in your family died young? Had other heart problems? Sometimes HCM "runs silent" until someone gets sick and then everyone gets tested and it finally gets diagnosed.

A good cardiologist will answer all of your questions and be knowledgable about HCM, but many aren't.

Let us know how it goes,

Sarah

Author: Christi (204.107.242.---)

Date: 04-25-02 08:42

I was diagnosed at the age of 20. I had a c-section because they thought I was pre-eclampsic. But even at a younger age I was easily out of breath during sports and never liked running longer distances. My mother has been told she has a heart murmur but nothing more. Both my mother and my sister have asthma so I thought maybe I was asthmatic too at a younger age. The only person I remember having heart problems was my great grandfather, who died of a heart attack at 65 suddenly. Nothing that happened at an earlier age.

I've called my cardiologist to see if he will do something about the shakey/dizziness thing. My next appointment isn't until the end of May because they felt I was doing "ok". UGH! When I am there, I am definitely going to check and see if I can get my results from my stress test and my cardiac MRI. My cardiologist is an hour and a half away so it's not easy to get an answer from him over the phone.

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-25-02 13:52

Dear Christi

Please call the office to find out who you can see that has a better grasp of HCM than your current doctors. It does make a huge difference.

Sarah

Author: Christi (204.107.242.---)

Date: 04-25-02 14:07

The nurse called me back today. I am to cut my Toprol back to 25mg again. This doesn't make sense at all because I took 25mg for the whole month of January and it didn't control my palpitations. Guess I have to wait and see!

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dialup.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-25-02 15:51

C

It sounds like they are trying to see if the Toprol is causing the shakes. Also, if they are going to switch you to something else, you have to be weaned off the beta-blocker b/c cold turkey causes withdrawal.

Keep us posted.

S
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X