If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staph Infection

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Beamish
    replied
    Re: Staph Infection

Yes Donna, it was amusing and it's good we can all joke about such things.

Leave a comment:

• Deedee
    replied

Wow - I am so HAPPY that you got through that. WHEW your posts just prior to the surgery were very very scary indeed!

I feel the same way in hospital or even at the dentists or anywhere... at their mercy and sometimes it just feels like I'm so much cattle they're pushing towards the shoot. Pretty out of control and miserable feeling.

So happy you made it through alright. Great news.

Deedee

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Donna,

Don't give it a second thought... some days it's a miracle if i can get my own name right

Hope you are doing well.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Donna
    replied

So sorry about the name thing. I do hope, Jim, that you are doing better. From the sounds of your last post, you are.

Glenn, I am also glad that you are also doing well. I think I was a bit on the sleepy side the day I posted. Hope we all had a good laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Donna
    replied

So sorry about the name thing. I do hope, Jim, that you are doing better. From the sounds of your last post, you are.

Glenn, I am also glad that you are also doing well. I think I was a bit on the sleepy side the day I posted. Hope we all had a good laugh.

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Hi Linda,

Well unfortunately, because of the surgery, i missed final exams this week. I never could have made it through final exams anyway as bad as this darn infection had gotten. I was miserable and just not thinking straight. The only other alternative would have been to postpone surgery until January 5th, which would have just screwed up next semester as well, and left the infection go un-checked for another month. Everyone, including my professors, thought it was in my best interest to have the surgery as soon as possible and get all of this over with.

The good news, is that my professors have been pleased with my work until now, and will work with me to preserve my grade. One of my professors even said he's just going to give me an 'A' for his course anyway, and i can then make up the work at my convenience next semester. How cool is that?

Everything will work out in the end. I'll just spend Christmas break writing papers and catching up on schoolwork, and now that i have my energy back, i'm really looking forward to throwing myself back into school. Woo hoo! I really do feel great (knock on wood).

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied

Jim, How is school? Hope things have gone well in spite of the health probs. Linda

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Pam,

Thanks so much for the nice note... sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. Thank God there was no infection. Good news for you! I hope you start feeling better real soon, Pam

I am feeling so great right now it doesn't even feel like i had surgery on tuesday. Perhaps that's just because it was hurting so much before surgery, it just has to feel better by comparison. LOL. My only complaint so far was going in on friday to have a debridement. Yikes! In case you're wondering, having the insides of your sinuses scraped pretty much feels exactly as bad as it sounds.

Everything's been great though, and i'm having a really hard time 'taking it easy' like i'm supposed to. For the first time in months i feel like i could run in a marathon. Woo hoo!

Thanks again,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Hi Jim, Sorry I was not able to wish you good luck on your surgery before it took place , but am very happy all turned out well for you. I certainlly hope that nasty staph infection will no longer plague you. I had a little bit of a staph infection in my myectomy incision about 4 weeks post surgery , so I know they are very troublesome. The antibiotic my pcp put me on was Levoquin ;very powerfull and very expensive for a 10 day 1 time a day pill . Boston said to stop it after 5 days and at $12.99 a pill , I have an expensive leftover in my cabinet. The IV's I agree are horrible as well as long needles with pig tail catheters that they stick into your lungs. The day you ( 12-9 , Right?), you were having your procedure , I was having an admit to NEMC. Dr. Maron looked very tired as he had staid at the hospital on call during the snow storm, I saw Doug while I was there too. I waited over 2 hours in Dr. M's office for a room. The place was full . Some resident almost took blood for cultures out of my FEET! Can you believe it ? Thank god he found 2 spots in my upper extremities to draw from.. I kept praying and it worked! I had to have about 850 cc's all toll taken from my left pleural space. Not pleasant ! Had to be done. I had been very sick leading up to it . Outcome: cultures are negative , no bacterial infection, probably a virus or flu bug, but still SOB and Running a low grade fever. So Jim , Sorry I missed sending my hope and wishes for you . Hope all continues to go well for you . I think you do deserve more presents for christmas; maybe Santa reads this board! Take care . Pam

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

LOL, Glen...

That's probably good advice for everyone on the board here. It reminds me of when i had hernia surgery last year at this time. We'd had a bad snow storm and a young girl slid her car off the road into a snow bank. Instinctively i pulled over and offered to push her car out... and it wasn't until i was behind the car all ready to start pushing that i thought 'wait a minute, i can't do this'. I felt so bad having to tell her that i couldn't help her after all.

My family teases me now because i've had surgery during the holidays for four years straight... they say it's just a pathetic plea for better Christmas presents. LOL. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked so far

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

Thank you Donna, but Jim was the sick one.
    However I am taking your advice and will not push any cars around :P

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Sarah,

Ain't that the truth! You would think that after we've had so many IV's, we would get used to them, wouldn't ya? NOT. Usually when i'm in the hospital they keep an IV drip in me all the time to stay hydrated. This time they didn't... so every time they needed to give me antibiotics or painkillers through the line, they had to flush and re-open the vein. Ouch!

But then again, you know how us men are when it comes to pain

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied

dear jim,

very glad to hear you are better and it sounds like you need to do what i do when i'm getting an iv ---DON'T LOOK!!!

gave a good recovery,

s

Leave a comment:

• Donna
    replied

Glen, I am glad you are doing better. I hope you can make yourself take the time you need to heal. No pushing cars as someone has already said.
    Hope your 100 % soon.

Leave a comment:

• Donna
    replied

Glen, I am glad you are doing better. I hope you can make yourself take the time you need to heal. No pushing cars as someone has already said.
    Hope your 100 % soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X