If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staph Infection

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Staph Infection

Jim, best of luck and I wish you a speedy recovery - finally!
    I think it would be good idea to have your current docs contact your HCM doc for any heads up they need to watch for.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Comment

Jim, Good Luck and I know all will go well. Yes call Dr. Maron. Take Care Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hey All,

Sorry... short rant here.

I spent the entire afternoon at the hospital getting pre-op tests done, and right now i really couldn't tell you whether i'm having surgery tomorrow or not. None of my doctors had sent in any of the requested information to the hospital, my anesthesiologist looks like carnival folk, and the man couldn't even correctly pronounce Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, much less understand what it means. He scares the crap out of me. I gave him Dr. Maron's card, and he just laughed and said 'I don't need to call any doctor in Boston.'

The only bloodwork they wanted to do was a blood count, nothing to check on my kidney or liver, which is a big issue with me after the cancer. When i asked them about the BNP test to check for congestive heart failure (and i am having a lot of symptoms), nobody in the lab knew what BNP meant... they told me that i must have confused it with BP, 'which means blood pressure', they explained. Good lord.

These idiots are going to kill me tomorrow

I've had pre-op jitters before, but the level of incompetence i witnessed today has me fearing for my life. I just may cancel this myself until they get their collective acts together.

Thanks for letting me vent

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim--I'll be thinking of you and hoping you make the right decision. It certainly does sound like you have reason for concern. Best wishes.
          Sue

Comment

I sure would go with your gut instincts, if you are not comfortable with the situation, then you have the right to ask for another doctor that will listen to you, and that you would be more comfortable with, it sounds like he's got his head up his own butt. Let us know what you decide, and please take care of yourself
            Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Jim, good luck. I'm thinking about you.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Boy,Jim ! I would insist on having an antibiodic IV ....that is ridiculous that antibiodics would not kill that in that period of time. What does the doctor say about it?
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Jim, best of luck.
                  Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                  So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                  Good luck and stay well.
                  Glen

Comment

Well??? What happened? Did you do it or not???

Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Do what Lisa?

I leave for the hospital in about an hour... my cardiologist is nowhere to be found... he hasn't returned any of my calls... his office hours don't start until 1:30pm, which is a half hour after i'm already supposed to be in surgery... my anesthesiologist will not speak with my cardiologist, nor has he received any notes on my HCM... there's still a debate as to whether i am in CHF or not... but nobody has ordered the bloodwork to check... and i'm about ready to cancel the entire thing and go live in a hut in Nepal.

I'm hatching a plan even as we speak...

Jim

Comment

Okay, here's my plan...

I'm just going to tell them i'm not having the surgery until...

a) My anesthesiologist speaks to Dr. Maron in Boston, who is in HCM clinic today.

b) They run the bloodwork to confirm that i am not in CHF.

c) Somebody confirms that they have received pre-authorization from my insurance.

d) My surgeon and i have a little chat about all of this and i feel reasonably comfortable to proceed.

I'm pretty sure they can't knock me out and do surgery until i give the go ahead, so they're all just going to have to wait until all of this crap is taken care of, period. Yes, i'm pretty pissed.

I'll let ya know what happens

Jim

Comment

Be careful!
                          do not sign the consent until you feel 100% sure.

Lisa
                          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                          Currently not obstructed
                          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hey All,

The surgery went fine... although it was right down to the wire, with me laying on a gurney 15 minutes before surgery holding an unsigned consent form and waiting for my insurance company to give authorization to proceed. LOL. I'm pretty beat, so i'll write more later. Right now i need some percocet and a good video

Thanks for all your kind words...

Jim

Comment

Hey Jim,

Glad to hear that you made it through fine. I was worried about you, and as I read your last posts, I thought back to my unpleasant brain tumor surgeries experience of a few years ago, and I remember how frustrating the medical system can be. In fact, I was convinced that I was not going to come out of the whole ordeal alive, not because of my surgery, but because of the administrative incompetence of everyone at the hospital. Oh, don't get me started!

Anyway, I am really glad to hear from you that it went fine and hope you recover quickly. If I had seen a movie in the last few years, I would recommend one, but as I am the mother of a two year old whose video watching is limited to "Elmo" and the like, I can't!

Drink soup and feel well,

Cynthia
                              Daughter of Father with HCM
                              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Jim--I'm thrilled you are still with us and, presumably, now without staph infection. How does that work? Hope you found a good movie and don't need too many pills before you're feeling better.

Sue

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X