If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staph Infection

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Staph Infection

Hi there, me again....

Here I am at work worrying about your situation instead of doing what they pay me for, but, what the hey, its Thanksgiving, everyone is leaving early anyway but me.

Anyway, if you have to have surgery, the person who is important re: your HCM is the anesthesiologist, not the surgeon. I assume that your sinuses would have to be drained under a general? If you have surgery, make sure that the anesthesiologist knows what the score is, like have them speak to your cardiologist in advance. The ENT should be able to do his thing w/o regard to your heart. If all you need is a local, then I wouldn't worry at all.

Speaking again as someone who has had 2 brain surgeries, given birth to a child, and had an ICD implanted, the anesthesiologist is the important one here as far as the HCM goes. Find the best ENT for the sinuses and let the other guy worry about the rest.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Wow, i leave the board for an hour and look what happens...

Thanks so much to everyone for your posts. I didn't expect a response so fast, especially on Thanksgiving Eve.

Cynaburst, sounds like you've been through a lot yourself. I admire your attitude and courage very much. Once you've had cancer, everything else seems like a cakewalk by comparison, and i do try not to get too depressed. It's just when these things start hitting you one after another after another that you start getting dragged down by it. I'll try not to let that happen

I do understand that during surgery, it's the anesthesiologist that's more likely to kill you than anyone else, but i did have my kidney yanked out three years ago, which is a much more serious surgery, and the ol' ticker stood up just fine through that. My ENT's main concern is that during the procedure he might seed the staph to my heart or elsewhere.

Cynthia, i've been begging them to put me in the hospital with an IV since this all started, but my HMO will not pay for that. In their book, oral antibiotics are just as effective as intravenous ones. They will however, pay for me to have surgery, monitor my heart for 24 hours after, and give me IV antibiotics then. Go figure. Who knows how these people think.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll watch the prednisone and claritin-d.

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Speaking of anesthesia... my cardiologist in Montana told me that with HCM, being under general anesthesia is always safer than the local. I also got to thinking that having me under completely might make the surgery a little smoother for the ENT? Anyone with information on this?

Comment

i was under the impression it was the reverse --local good, general bad.

don't hav time to research it right now, but would love to hear Linda's take on this.

s

Comment

As for me during my dental surgery which was a month ago the doctor could not put me totally out because my heart rate fell to 40 beats per minute and my Oxygen fell into the 80s so he told me he couldn't me out, but that was me, someone else may be different as we are all different, my body couldn't take the demerol he was giving me, so he gave me a local, i was still groggy but was awear of him working in my mouth, infact at one point he told me open your mouth i'm not finished yet, everyone have a wonderful thanksgiving
            Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Sarah, you flatter me, but I can't really speak with authority on the whole thing. I did speak at length with an anesthesiologist at one point. His idea was that he had better control over BP, pulse, etc with general anesth. He didn't have to deal with the vagal response related to pain, anxiety, etc. It makes sense. I know my son has always handled general anesth better. Then again, everyone is different in their responses. Allergies, previous responses to types of anesthesia, the actual surgery, etc. need to be considered. The key is to have a GOOD, COMPETENT, ANESTHESIOLOGIST. Ask questions, make sure he understands HCM and have the cardiologist involved. Don't be afraid to quiz the gas man. It will alert him to do his research and everybody benefits. Linda

Comment

I am no expert on this, but this summer I had general anesthesia for a colonoscopy and they lost my bp and respiration for awhile. They claimed that my heart responded normally, but I am not sure they knew, as this was done in a doctor's office and I had no heart monitor on until sometime during the episode. I will be very careful about general anesthesia after this.

I have always heard that a local is safer.

Rhoda

Comment

Re: Staph Infection... I'm going to have the surgery.

I know this thread is getting kinda long... but i'd rather continue an older thread than starting a new one on the same topic.

I'm going to have the surgery this coming Tuesday, Dec 9th. The infection has of course absessed now after having it this long, so it's the only option. I'm pretty excited about getting rid of this once and for all and putting it behind me, but at the same time, i'm a bit apprehensive about basically having a coathanger shoved up into various parts of my skull. Okay, that might have been a bit of an exaggeration

My doctor is so nervous about the surgery, i think he's even more worried than i am. He actually looks a lot like Joel Fleischman from Northern Exposure, but even younger. When did i get so old? I've been told by everyone that he's the best of the best in this area, so i think i'm in good hands. He's just never done an HCM'er before, and probably doesn't appreciate my telling him about all the potential risks associated with that. I reassured him that it's the anesthesiologist that's gonna kill me, not him, but i don't think that made him feel any better. Go figure

I'll be under general anesthesia. Since all of my sinuses are affected now, even the ones in the backy back, i was told to expect a longer than normal surgery. I think i'm even more nervous about this one than when i had my kidney yanked three years ago! LOL. At least that one didn't involve my brain and eyesight. Oh well... i'm probably just being a wuss boy. I know a lot of you have been through much more intensive surgery, so i'll try to control myself.

Any pre-op advice that any of you could give me regarding HCM will be greatly appreciated. Of course i'm going to drink as much water as my body can hold right up until i have to stop the night before. Any other pointers?

Do you think it would be unreasonable for me to ask Dr. Maron if he could consult with and/or send something to my doctors, particularly the anesthesiologist, so they know what to watch out for during surgery? I don't want to bother the man any more than i already have.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Re: Staph Infection... I'm going to have the surgery.

Originally posted by mtlieb
                    Do you think it would be unreasonable for me to ask Dr. Maron if he could consult with and/or send something to my doctors, particularly the anesthesiologist, so they know what to watch out for during surgery? I don't want to bother the man any more than i already have.

Thanks,

Jim
                    I dont think it is unreasonable at all for you to ask Dr Maron if he could consult with or send something to the Drs. It might actually be easier to have your Dr call Dr Maron. When I went to the dentist and they were "scared" to do anything cause of my heart I had them call Dr M.

Comment

I would advise you to have Dr. M. speak to the anaesthesiologist in advance. When I had my brain sugery, the anaesthesiologist wouldn't start until he spoke to my cardiologist. The brain surgeons (one of whom was on the cover of Time a few years ago and is world famous) were waiting for me in the operating room, and they had to wait!
                      Daughter of Father with HCM
                      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Jim, Your cardiologist will be able to reassure both anesthesiologist and surgeon. Give them both his number. With them feeling more confident, you will too. Won't it be great to have a clear head again! Keep focused on the future. Best wishes, we'll be waiting to hear. Linda

Comment

Jim, you know I don't have HCM, but I did have sinus surgery about 4 and a half years ago. Here is my experience....

I had a chronic infection that had caused me to be on antibiotics for several months. They finally determined to do the surgery. They actually did 4 procedures. 1) opening airways leading to sinuses, 2) reducing turbinates - the little dealies that warm and moistuize the air into the nose, 3) straighten septum, 4) irrigate sinuses. My ENT told me that my head was plugged up worse than he thought and he had some difficulty getting the vacuum to work properly. I had the surgery in the AM and went home around 5pm.

I hope all goes well with you. You know where I am if you have any questions.

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jim--Best wishes on your surgery! Hope everything gets back to what is normal for you---or even better! Sue

Comment

All the best - hope everything works out great.

Comment

Jim

Hope everything goes well for you, Keep us updated please

You take care of yourself Shirley
                                Diagnosed 2003
                                Myectomy 2-23-2004
                                Husband: Ken
                                Son: John diagnosed 2004
                                Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Working...
                                X