If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staph Infection

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Staph Infection

Jim

Have they given you an ointment to put in your eye, the doctors did that for my granddaughter along with an oral antibiotic, you may also want to get some epson salts, make up a bowl with epson salts and water as warm as you can stand and take a wash cloth and soak it in it wring it out and then lay it over your eye, that may help dry it up, that's what my mother used on us kids when we were growing up, for styes and eye infections, my mother said salt is the best healer, in fact i stepped on a scorpion at the age of 19 and i soaked it in epson salt 3 times a day until the red line was gone from my leg, it is just a thought, hope you feel better soon, i've had those staph infections there not fun, just the thought of it makes my eyes itch

Take Care of yourself
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Good luck, Jim. By the way, what do they learn from the xrays? I didn't know you could see more than bone and tissue? I'm not very good with these things. LOL. Hope you feel much better soon.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Shirley, i appreciate it much.

Reenie... they x-ray the sinuses to see the extent of the infection. The doctor showed me my x-rays and all of the sinus cavities (who knew there were so many?) appear dark on the x-rays, which mean they are full of infection. More information than you really wanted to know right? Nothing like a head full of bacteria to brighten your day

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

While we're at it...

Does anybody know if a staph infection is contagious... specifically staphylococcus epidermidis?

I know that staph lives in the body normally and everyone has it. But i've been walking around for two months, coughing and sneezing, with a growing culture in my head and i'm afraid that i could have passed this on. Two classmates and a professor that i work with closely have now come down with terrible sinus infections that they just can't seem to shake, and they say they've never had one this bad. Could i have done this?

Jim

Comment

i'm sure a quick google search would help you with that. don't know off hand.

s

i hope you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
              Thanks for the suggestions Shirley, i appreciate it much.

Reenie... they x-ray the sinuses to see the extent of the infection. The doctor showed me my x-rays and all of the sinus cavities (who knew there were so many?) appear dark on the x-rays, which mean they are full of infection. More information than you really wanted to know right? Nothing like a head full of bacteria to brighten your day

Jim
              Actually, Jim, I completely understand. However it was the opposite for me. I had cat scans for 3 months straight due to chronic sinus infection. The areas that were black on the CT scan were air and the grayer areas were the infection. I eventually had sinus surgery to clean it all out. Not pleasant, but I've only had 1 sinus infection since May 1999.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi all,

I went to the hospital last night... they hooked me up to an IV for a couple hours, gave me some good antibiotics and sent me on my way. I felt really refreshed and healthy when i left the hospital in the middle of the night, although a little pissed that they woke me up from a sound sleep at 4:00 am to tell me i had to leave. LOL. There were only two beds being used out of twelve, one would think they could have let me sleep until morning. I was a bit cranky with them i'm afraid

Now that i've resumed the oral antibiotics this afternoon, i feel like crap again, so i guess i know what's been making me so sick... it's the cure, not the illness. The doctor at the ER told me that antibiotics cannot be causing fatigue, even after ten weeks straight, and six different kinds now, which only leads me to believe he's an idiot. But the new x-rays show that there is at least some improvement in the amount of junk in my head, so it should hopefully all be over soon.

Oddly enough, after breaking my bank with every expensive antibiotic they could throw at me for two months, the one that is finally getting rid of the staph infection is good old tetracycline, at 7.50 a bottle. I'm not quite sure whether to be happy about that or mad about all the wasted time and money. A little of both i guess.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

I'm really glad you're feeling better. Hope you continue to improve.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Oh boy.

I guess the tetracycline didn't do anything after all, as today's CT Scan shows the staph infection is still spreading through the various holes in my head. Apparently the x-rays they took at the hospital last week weren't too reliable. Good lord, how much more can this grow, i didn't think i had THAT many holes in my head

My ENT says that surgery is now the only option, but that he doesn't want to be the one to do it because of the HCM. At least he was honest. He actually used the words 'afraid to kill me'. LOL. He's supposed to be one of the best surgeons in the area, but he's young, and I think the HCM intimidates him. He's a lot more worried about killing me than i am. Either way, the infection would be gone, right? I'm so drugged-out and fatigued right now that i'm willing to try anything!

As a last ditch effort to try one more non-invasive approach, he's throwing the works at me... Flonase spray, Claritin-D, Levaquin 750mg, and Prednisone 30mg/day. This is a lot to take after already being on antibiotics for two and a half months straight, and the side-effects for prednisone sound absolutely awful. Anyone here have any experience with it and HCM that can give me some advice on what to expect?

Thanks much,

Jim

Comment

Jim
                      You be careful with that prednizone, that stuff made my blood pressure go through the roof and the Angina was horrible, i had a BP of 200 over 117 so watch your blood pressure ok, some people can take it, but i sure couldn't my body said OH NO

Keep us updated and please be careful
                      Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004
                      Husband: Ken
                      Son: John diagnosed 2004
                      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Dang Shirley, that doesn't sound like much fun. I do take my heartrate and blood pressure every day to monitor the beta blockers, so i'll be sure to make note if it starts to increase. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

boy, Jim.....can't they give you an antibiodic I.V. ?? I remember when my son was an infant, he had some weird rash around his eye and his eye was swollen (they told us it was some kind of infection) and they immediately gave him an I.V. in the emergency room...best of luck to You!!
                          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Jim - I have taken more steroids than I care to remember and they haven't seemed to affect my HCM.

I have taken prednisone on numerous occasions, and other than perhaps making me a little hyper, it didn't cause any problems. I have taken it several times for recurrent sinus infections, and it did help reduce the swelling. In fact, I have taken all of the meds you were prescribed, and the only one that I didn't react well to was Levaquin. One pill made me faint, and I won't take it again.

Back to the steroids though, I had 2 brain surgeries a couple of years ago, and I was given Decadron which is a steroid which makes prednisone look like jelly beans. The Decadron, while not allowing me to sleep for a month and causing an allergic rash, did nothing to exacerbate my HCM symptoms.

Best of luck with it all. You seem to have a good attitude even after everything you have been through in the last couple of years, and believe me, I know, that is 75% of the battle.
                            Daughter of Father with HCM
                            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Jim - I have just re-read your posting, and there is one drug on it which concerns me...Claritin-D. The D is for decongestant, and it means that it contains pseudoephidrine, which is a stimulant, which can cause arrythmias and which is not recommended for HCM. I would be more worried about taking that than the steroids. It is very strong and that could cause adverse affects.
                              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Hi there, me again....

Here I am at work worrying about your situation instead of doing what they pay me for, but, what the hey, its Thanksgiving, everyone is leaving early anyway but me.

Anyway, if you have to have surgery, the person who is important re: your HCM is the anesthesiologist, not the surgeon. I assume that your sinuses would have to be drained under a general? If you have surgery, make sure that the anesthesiologist knows what the score is, like have them speak to your cardiologist in advance. The ENT should be able to do his thing w/o regard to your heart. If all you need is a local, then I wouldn't worry at all.

Speaking again as someone who has had 2 brain surgeries, given birth to a child, and had an ICD implanted, the anesthesiologist is the important one here as far as the HCM goes. Find the best ENT for the sinuses and let the other guy worry about the rest.
                                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X