If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No More Beta-Blockers for me!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

liona Find out more about liona
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Beta-Blockers for me!!!

Well, prior to my ablation 5/29/03, I was taking 350 mg of beta blockers just to keep going. The surgery was a big sucess and afterwards, I was taking 200 mg each day. Dr. Sherrid said over time I could wean myself off of the medication, so I have done that. Last week I was on 25 mg of atenol. Two days ago, my morning blood pressure was very low, so I decided the time had come to stop the medication altogether.

So I am heart medication free for the first time in ten years!! Hooray!

I hope others on this forum have had the same success with getting off meds after surgery as I have.

Re: No More Beta-Blockers for me!!!

Liona, I'm glad that you have weaned off of it with your doctor's permission. I hope that you continue to do well.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I'm so happy for you! take care

Cynthia
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Woo hoo! Great news Liona.
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I just spoke to Dr. Sherrid, and he asked me to continue to take 25 mg of atenol every 3 days for a while, just to be sure I don't suffer any withdrawal problems.

So I guess that's ALMOST NO MORE BETA BLOCKERS for me-------------

I have been busy cleaning out my house and reorganizing things. Tasks I've been wanting to accomplish for years but felt too weak to even attempt.

It is wonderful

I wish everyone could get this second chance at their life!!

Comment

I hate to rain on the parade...but please do not get upset if you have to revisit the beta-blocker issue in the future...
            Yes, your obstuction is better...but your heart is still thick..and may need help relaxing - the beta blockers(in small dose) may be needed for this.

I am VERY happy that the dose has gone down so much and wish you all the luck in the work!

Best wishes,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X