If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

family history of sudden death

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

FatimaR Find out more about FatimaR
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family history of sudden death

Hello Everyone,

i have not been diagnosed with HCM, neither has my father (70 years old) nor any of my 2 siblings (29 and 20 years old). Due to family history of HCM, we all get tested every two years and so far all clear. 4 out of 4 paternal uncles have HCM, and 2 died SCD one at 24 (HCM not confirmed) and one at 60 (HCM confirmed). An aunt died at 56 SCD (HCM status not known) and a cousin at 29 (HCM confirmed).
    i also have 2 living uncles with HCM 71 and 68 years old and an aunt at 65 years old. All cousins of those uncles and aunt with HCM are alive except for one who died at 29 as mentioned above.
    Due to the 4 sudden cardiac deaths I am terrified. No genetic testing here and although so far we are clear, I am still worried. I would like to know if anyone out there has family history of sudden death but also relatives living a long life with HCM. I can’t help but think my entire family with HCM will die although my u flea and aunt are approaching 70s without issues. I am also worried for my young kids. I know all about ICDs and importance of screening.
    anyone out there with a similar family history? Is it always bad ? I am on anxiety pills due to these negative thoughts all the time.

Hello Fatima

Unfortunately these message boards will be archived soon, so your best bet to get some guidance would be to contact the office for a planning session, and join the private facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/830709766982009/. For more confidence in your current situation, you should also be screened at one of our recognized Centers of Excellence. 4hcm.org/coe, you can search for them by state

Comment

Originally posted by Donna B View Post
      Hello Fatima

Unfortunately these message boards will be archived soon, so your best bet to get some guidance would be to contact the office for a planning session, and join the private facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/830709766982009/. For more confidence in your current situation, you should also be screened at one of our recognized Centers of Excellence. 4hcm.org/coe, you can search for them by state
      Thank you Donna.
      i have requester to join the page on Facebook but my request has been rejected !

Comment

I saw the request and approved it....

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X