If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I looked for information

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

baw578 Find out more about baw578
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I looked for information

I was rediagnosed with IHSS (HCM) when I was 17 in a follow up exam. My dad (39) and grand father died from it. My brother (27) and I (21) both have it along with many of my other relatives on my dad's side of the family. The death of John Ritter scared me even more. His problem with his Aorta got me even more concerned especially b/c I had an appointment with my doctor that day. I am glad to see that I am not in the only family affeted by this heart disease.

Re: Why I looked for information

Welcome, I think you are new here, aren't you? Don't be afraid to ask questions and feel free to tell us more about yourself. Hope your appt went well. Linda

Comment

Welcome to the HCMA. I hope you find this a great place for information and support. You are certainly not alone. There are many people like you who have a significant family history of HCM. You said your dad died at 39 of HCM? Please make sure your cardiologist is aware of that. You might want to talk to him about what risk factors you and your brother might have for getting an ICD (implanted cardiodefibrillator) put in. There are 5 factors and premature cardiac death of family members is one of them. The others are personal history of fainting, poor blood pressure response to exercise, ventricular tachycardia, and septal thickness. Just talk to the doctor. He'll help you figure all of this stuff out. I look forward to hearing more from you later.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

we didn't realize until it was too late that the nurse messud up really bad. The nurse took my dad off his blood thinner and he got a blood clot in the brain. My mom said the doctor cried when he told her that.

Comment

I'm sorry about your dad.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hello,
            Welcome!! and like Reenie, I am also sorry about your Dad. Since I'm new as of last week I couldn't help but smile when I saw your location.
            Joyce L.
            \"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.\"
            Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Welcome to the HCMA website and message boards. If you give our office a call at 973-983-7429 we can get your name and address so we can send you out a packet of information that you can share with your family and even your doctor so that you all have a better understanding of HCM.

Kelly
              Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Comment

Great news. My results came back on my echo and the doc said no change in condition.

Comment

Good for you! Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X