If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New A-Fib

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ise2425 Find out more about ise2425
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New A-Fib

Hey all,

Just had my first bout with A-Fib and a little shook. I'm 30 YO and generally symptom free (with an ICD) but began to notice the A-Fib discomfort that persisted throughout the next day until my body reverted back to normal after 37 hours on its own (per my ICD transmission that confirmed when the episode started and stopped; i was on my way in for a cardioversion but ended up not needing). I immediately began Elliquis and my HCM doctor says if I have another few A-Fib episodes she'll likely push for an ablation. Kind of shook by the suddenness of the A-Fib onset and how destabilizing it was to my ability to work/walk/commute/function. Definitely a new-found respect to anyone who lives with it permanently. Praying it was a one-off situation but curious as to how people have found the ablation process to work (seems there are mixed results).

Izzy

I (37/M) experienced an AFib bout a month after my septal myectomy last year. As you they put me on Eliquis and said if it happens again then they will put me on a list for ablation. I had it 3 times in a week for about 24 hours each time and it eventually went away each time. It has been a year and still hasn't come back but now that I know that feeling I am scared for it to come back. Best of luck, hope some other people can share their experiences with Afib and ablation with HCM.

Brandon

Comment

Hi Brandon.... Welcome to the HCMA forum....it is rather quiet here and you will find a more active community in the HCMA Facebook group if you care to join.
      Post-Myectomy Afib is fairly common...I have been quoted an occurance rate of about 40% ...However...it is ingeneral quite temporary and does not require long term treatment. The destabilizing part of Afib is when your ventricles are responding (RVR) and trying to beat with each little atrial fibrillation. So, 1st line treatment is to prevent clots forming in the fibrillating atrium, second line is ventricular rate control with medication and/or cardioversion, Left atrial Ablation is generally considered if you are refractory to medications or extremely symptomatic with your Afib. . AfibAblation in HCM patients tends to be more difficult than in in other type of patients. In HCM it is common to need more than one Ablation procedure for the Afib. The tendency for HCM patients to develop Afib over their life time is about 30%.
      I had atrial tachycardia and atrial flutter that was episodic and causing me to almost pass out. I had those two areas of my heart’s right atrium ablated. With 100% cure. However, during the procedure I went into Afib and had to be cardioverted....So my cardiologist and Electrophysiologist told me I was high risk to go back and I am on anti-coagulation for life.
      It’s important not to live your life in fear. I have an app on my phone that allows me to take a single lead ekg from my finger tips.... so if I am not feeling well I can take my ekg and see if I am in Afib....or send a copy to my cardiologist to look at. I understand the new Apple Watch has some similar capabilities to alert you if you go into Afib. You may want to look into something like this.
      Best of luck to you.
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Working...
      X