If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convergent Ablation vs Traditional Ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

fiftycal Find out more about fiftycal
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds like a rational approach. Here's hoping the verapamil helps!
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

So glad to hear back about your visit to Duke. Dr Wang’s approach seems extremely thoughtful and most importantly starts with the least drastic or invasive approach. It is very true that it is the RVR of Afib that makes you feel the worst. There are lots of people permanently in Afib that only take medication to control their ventricular rate....and of course anti-coagulation.
      Keep us posted. I’ve been on Verapamil for 13 years because I can’t tack beta blockers....my cardiologist claims that the Verapamil helps keep me from going into Afib ( I have no Afib history). But I never actually asked him the physiology of that. Keep us posted!
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

So. Just a follow up. Last Monday night I was laying on the couch watching the news. I jumped up to turn the volume up, once I reached the TV I noticed I had just triggered AFIB with my super sit up+jump up. I went to the ER. Got cardioverted. The Verpamil didnt really help nor did it slow down my RVR. I was still very symptomatic.

Two days later, Dr Wang referred me to the EP clinic at Duke. I have an appointment in two weeks.

Then here comes the surprise. Last Friday, Duke calls me. My insurance isnt working. I'm employed through my wifes employer. United Health Care doesnt know why I'm suddenly not covered. They actually show me as never being on their plan but they see where they have paid my claims for the past 4 months but their records show I started coverage on Jan 1 and ended coverage on Jan 2. They refer me to my wifes employer. Saying the employer, not them, is who/where I was dropped.

My wifes employer is stating I was marked as a unlawfully dependent and thus was denied coverage on Jan 2. We tell them, No. I'm lawfully my wifes spouse. We are legally married etc etc. I've been on their insurance since Jan 1. They have confirmed I was on her insurance. They have paid mulitple claims already and I just called them and changed my PCP not a month ago. I literally just received my new insurance card a week ago. They are now trying to tell us, I never had insurance with them, despite the multiple claims, the forms and premiums we paid. They have dropped me from our insurance and seem to be denying me coverage. This is happening mere days after my wife told her employer I was likely about to have a heart procedure done at Duke and she would need a few days off.

We are talking with a HR sup and he promises to get to the bottom of this but it could take a week or two. Thus my Duke appointment may have to be delayed and I may have a lawsuit on my hands. Hopefully its just a mix up and my insurance didnt drop me because they were made aware of a upcoming expensive procedure.. =-(
        Last edited by fiftycal; 04-02-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

That's insane. I hope they succeed in straightening it out quickly!

Comment

Had yet another Cardioversion Sunday (4/7/19). I've cut down the verapamil. I think its triggering more palpitations and more afib. I went from 6 months SN to 3 cardio-versions in the last month. Taking a toll on my mental health at this rate. Still set for a EP app Thursday @ Duke with Dr. Daubert. Hopefully he tells me he can help.

Insurance is working on getting their sh*t together. Turns out it was a processing error. Someone 3 companies over marked me as a non dependent. They state they should have it fixed in a few weeks.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about this....I hope you are able to take some deep breaths and hang in there. Watch a marathon of comedies and don’t jump up from the couch!
              After years of symptoms:

Comment

Another cardio-version yesterday. My local ER thanked me for helping train all the students on cardioversions haha. Leaving today for my EP appointment with Dr James Daulbert at Duke. I've had contact with his nurse. Hopefully will hear back from her as to wether or not he thinks I'm a candidate for ablation or what. She tells me if he agrees that I am, they might just have me stay up there a few extra days and go ahead with a procedure. We are having my 19 year old drive us up (wife cant see good, hates interstate traffic) so hopefully the trip wont trigger my afib.

Crazy how I went from 6 months of SR to 4 cardioversions in a month. Anyways. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Hopefully Dr Daulbert can offer a little more insight than Emory did.

Comment

My heart goes out to you and your family. Sometimes our HCM hearts just have to make extra “ noise” to get the attention they need. Keeping a sense of humor while still advocating for the best care you can get is often a difficult balance. You seem to be doing pretty well with that, all things considered. I hope you find all of the answers you need at Duke. Keep us posted.
                  After years of symptoms:

Comment

Alright! 4 Hours from home and 1 1/2 hours from Duke, Our car engine decided to lock down. Had it towed to the dealer and made the Duke App on time with a rental. Showed up at the App. They tell me, I never had an App. Show them the MyChart reminder. Someone, somewhere had marked the appointment as cancelled! Got that sorted out. Car is still dead 4 hours way. Working on that =-p

Dr. Daubert has me scheduled for a PVI ablation on May 23. Says I'm a great candidate for it and despite my HCM. Given that I went 6 months in SR and my afib is paroxysmal. He expects a good outcome. He agreed with me on the 2nd opinion, hes not real sure why Atlanta would only give me the option of a Covergent/Surgical procedure.

So. Hopefully I can stay out of the ER for the next month and hopefully everything goes smoothy.

Comment

You've certainly had an adventure - but one that I'm sure you'd rather have done without! In any case, here's hoping the ablation does the trick.

Gordon

Comment

So. Here I am typing 4am from a Duke medical center bed. Came in yesterday for preops and a CT scan
                        My heart didn't like the CT scan. Went in to afib. My ablation is less than two hours away. I'm going in full afib with rvr. No worries about not being able to trigger my afib for the Doc.

I opted to stay in afib over a cardioversion last night because I didnt want to be put to sleep twice in a day. They gave me some morphine and some cardezim to keep my rate low . Pretty scared. Dr says 4 to 6 hours. Full GA. Wee cath and all. Hope I've made the right choice. God speed.

Comment

Hope your Ablation was a huge success....time will tell. But do not be discouraged if it does need repeated....that is very typical in HCM
                          After years of symptoms:

Comment

4 weeks post Ablation. What can I say. All of my anxiety was moot. The operation was a breeze. 4 weeks out I feel absolutely normal. I had a few palpitations at night the first couple weeks but the last week my heart has been 100% solid. I've started back exercising. I pressure washed my house and even took the kids out on the boat skiing on Friday. Its only been 4 weeks but I feel a huge difference in my heart rhythm. Fingers crossed this worked. The EP ablated all 4 veins and isolated some extra electrical currents on the back side of my atria.

Fingers crossed this will last. The big test will be in a month. I have a in person check up July 31st @ Duke. Every single time i go to Duke I go into afib (long drive, stress trigger).

Comment

That's great. Here's hoping . . . .

Gordon

Comment

Thanks for the information..

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X