If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E/A Ratio

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

AustinB Diagnosed with HCM at the age of 10, Am now Currently 19. Mom Diagnosed with HCM when she was a kid, also had a hole in her heart. Trying to have a strong heart with a diseased heart. Find out more about AustinB
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E/A Ratio

Hey Everyone, So ive been growing worried again for the past few weeks i guess its an anxiety flare up, But i got to looking back at my echo from January (Bc ive been getting palps and stuff again) and i saw my E/A Ratio was marked Abnormal it was 2.0, And i got to looking on the internet (Worst mistake ever) and found that high E/A Ratios are known as Diastolic Dysfunction or DD, and i got to looking deeper and found Diastolic Heart failure and now im worried, My cardiologist never said anything to me about this so im concerned that he just never looked at it, (Never thought i would be thinking about all this at 19 years old) Im afraid im going down a road of Diastolic heart failure in my HCM i have a EF percent of 66%, i have Mild wall thickening but its not obstructive, and i read that Diastolic Heart failure is abnormally thick heart wall and is when your heart is unable to relax and fill properly, and thats where im worried bc ive been told HCM causes my heart to not fill properly, I dont know what to do should i really be worried and ask my cardiologist?
    Last edited by AustinB; 09-23-2018, 02:11 PM.

Using Google University as your medical training can often lead to things like insomnia!

Everyone with HCM has some degree of diastolic dysfunction (and diastolic heart failure is a synonym). Because of the stiffness of our left ventricles, they don't fill properly. That's why most of us are on drugs like beta blockers, to slow our heart rates and allow the left ventricle to fill properly.

My echo reports say something similar, and, no, my cardiologists haven't discussed it with me either. My local cardiologist's PA said "Oh, my heart's probably about like that, and I don't have HCM." I think he was trying to tell me not to sweat it -- yes, it's something to take note of, but it's not something to treat any differently.

Now try to get a good night's sleep.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Hello Austin....You seem like a really bright young man. I look a lot of stuff up on google also and I'm a nurse! But when it comes to really understanding what is going on with my own heart ....I rely on my cardiologist. I just tell him ". .... in order to feel comfortable and not worry, I need you to explain my echo report to me and let me know exactly what it means to me and my prognosis. Which numbers are important to you and why? is my disease progressing or staying the same?" If he is not willing to take the time to explain things to you....than maybe you would be more comfortable with another cardiologist.
      You are young, but you are an adult and this diagnosis is with you for a lifetime......so learn about it, embrace it work with it and know it is a very manageable disease..rather than being fearful.
      An EF ejection fraction of 66% is a really normal ejection fraction which tells that your heart is pumping pretty efficiently. Words like " diastolic failure" can be scary.....because we associate the word "failure" with " stops working" which is not the case. It too is a manageable condition unless it is severe heart failure.which is not what is going on with you.
      keep asking questions and advocating for yourself..
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X