If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think that I need a therapist

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jonshapiro Find out more about jonshapiro
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that I need a therapist

I spoke to Sarah last night which was quite helpful. So many messages here have also been a great help. I am up or down at any given moment now. Tonight is perticularly rough. I had to go to sleep the second that I came home from work, and I woke up with palpitations. I think that I need to find a therapist, because I have to to stop from thinking SO much. If anyone has any suggesstions for therapists in Chicago, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Jon

Re: I think that I need a therapist

Dear Jon,

I don't know of any therapists in the Chicago area but I do want to give you a big cyber hug. I hope that you feel much better soon.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jon,

I have several suggestions for you. Give me a call over the weekend.

S

Comment

Jon,

Nobody can evaluate whether or not you should see a therapist but yourself... so if you feel you need to, please seek out the help you need. But please know that when i was first diagnosed i was the biggest basket-case you'd ever want to meet... and trust me... i was a basket-case well before i ever even knew i had HCM! It's a lot of information to digest, and in a very short period of time as well. It can be overwhelming! Let me share with you the best advice i have ever received from this board...

"Jim, you've lived 39 years with HCM and up until now you didn't even know you had it. Now that you do know you have it... what has changed?"

Jon... quite simply, the answer is that nothing has changed except for the fact that now i know i have HCM and have options to treat it. Even if you had never found out you had HCM... quite probably you would have still led a long happy life. Knowing that you have HCM only allows you to take some extra precautions to make sure you don't 'shuffle off this mortal coil' prematurely.

HCM is serious, and should be treated as such, but at the same time please realize that you've lived through 35 years of your life quite successfully without even knowing that you had it, and since HCM most often rears it's ugly head in young adulthood, you've been living with it for almost twenty years!

Take care of yourself, and please write directly to me or call if you want to chat. My email is... [email protected].

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim, I edited your post and deleted your phone #. I just didn't think it was a good idea to post it publically. Feel free to PM Jon with the info if you want.

Thanks,

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi--

I'm not certain why I am writing this, since I think mtlieb expressed things very well. But here goes----------Being diagnosed does not mean that you will have the symptoms someone else with the condition has. You know yourself and how it has been living in the body you have. The diagnosis does not change these essential facts. You have HMC, but you have your own case and it will develop in you or not, and you don't need to fear the future since the diagnosis empowers you to seek medical help when and if you need it in the future.

Believe me, being diagnosed early before problems become serious is A GOOD THING, not a bad thing.

Comment

Thanks Reenie,

Perhaps i am a little too trusting at times... i appreciate your good judgement

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Liona, very well said. You make some good points.

Jim, you're welcome.
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X