If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Previous EKG readings

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Roscoe Find out more about Roscoe
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous EKG readings

Hello,

Last June I was tested for sleep apnea and the EKG was showing some poor readings. Along with a few EGKs, stress tests, Echo and a couple of other assessments I was diagnosed with Apical HCM. During the previous 15 years I was told my asthma was causing my problems. I do believe I have some asthma, but I never believed it was the full diagnose.

I was having a couple of bad weeks, so I made another appointment with my cardiologist to see if my medication needed to be adjusted. In truth, work has been a bit stressful and I believe that was part of the issue. Anyways, I’m a retired military member and I’ve had EKGs and other related tests before and had complained about my symptoms. I reviewed my old records and found the EKGs and brought them with me to my appointment.

My cardiologist was surprised when he read them. My first EKG was when I was around 23. I had another couple in my early 30s, and I don’t recall the how old I was for another. Anyways, they all showed up as normal. The reading did not show any unusual spikes. Now approximately 11 – 12 years later, all of my EKGs I’ve had over the past year (approximately 5) all show the problem.

My cardiologist seemed perplexed. He made a comment that he is now unsure if I have HCM, because the EKG should have always shown the weird spikes. There is obviously something wrong. He said my left ventricular thickness was at 17mm. That is the only number I can remember from the conversation.

I though I should post here and ask those who have been dealing with HCM the following question…..

If I have HCM, should my EKGs been reading problems all along or it is common for the thickness to happen over time? If I have HCM I want to have my kids tested.

Thoughts?

Hello Roscoe,
    Thickness can occur at a very young age or appear later on.....Every case is a bit different. EKGs are a very poor screening mechanism for HCM. The definitive test for HCM Is the echocardiogram. So if you had several echocardiogram to compare that might be relavent. There are several values that are looked at on the echo that define the diagnosis of HCM Thickness is just one of the points to look at. Overall, most Cardiologists have limited experience with HCM and its wide variety of symptoms and presentations. That is why we recommend getting evaluated at an HCM Center of Excellence. There is a directory for HCM Centers of Excellence on the home page of this website. Although there is not one in WA there is one in Oregon. You might want to get a copy of the book on HCM sold on this site and/or call the HCMA office for advice on what to do next they can even help you understand your echocardiogram if you have the results.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X