If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduction

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Joyce Leinart Find out more about Joyce Leinart
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Greetings to All,
    I have been reading the archives for the past several days soaking up all the info my brain will absorb but after 2 days I started to feel like a peeping Tom and decided it was time to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Joyce and have HOCM. Phew!! That wasn't so hard.
    Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for all the info they are sharing-it is such a relief not to feel so all alone with this disease.
    Warning:I'm electronically challenged and this is my first time posting on a board, so if I do something out of line or outrageously stupid I welcome all corrections.
    I notice another Joyce posting so I will sign Joyce L. to avoid confusion.
    I'm on my way to pick up car from garage and drive up to visit my mother in the hospital but I will be back later.
    Best to all,
    Joyce L.
    \"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.\"
    Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Re: Introduction

Dear Joyce L,

Welcome to the HCMA. We appreciate you sharing with us. I hope that you find a lot of information and support here. Let us know if you have any questions we can answer for you.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie,
      Thank you for the welcome.
      Joyce L
      \"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.\"

Comment

You're welcome. I hope to hear more about you soon.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi Reenie,
          This has been a hectic week for me. I just got home from visiting my mom who is in ICU unit with CHF. She was admitted Sun.night or rather early Mon morning. This is her second trip to the hospital in as many weeks. The week before last she had a cardiac arrest-was home several days and now CHF. Although she is now breathing by herself with only limited help from a respirator, she is still not awake or responsive. I might add her heart problems, as far as we know, are unrelated to HOCM. I'm going to pack a few things and head back up to her house, since the drive is eighty miles one way I think my energy will last a lot longer without all that driving. I would be grateful for any prayers for my mom.
          Thank You All!!
          When I have a little more time I will share my story with everyone.
          For now I will say goodbye

Joyce L

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce Leinart
            I would be grateful for any prayers for my mom.
            Joyce L
            Joyce, you've got it. Take care of yourself and we'll be here when you have time to get back to us.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Welcome to the site!
              I hope your mother is regaining her health. How old is she? Does she have HCM?
              How is your health holding up with all of the stress? Please remember to take care of yourself.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi to All,
                Well I'm back home! My mother was released from the hospital today and other than weakness she seems to be doing very well. Thank you for the prayers and concern. My sister is coming down from NJ and will arrive tomorrow to stay with my mother for about a week. I'm going to rest,rest, rest. My energy levels are very low right now but I seem to have no problem regaining energy if I just rest for a day or two.
                Lisa to answer your question about my mother and HCM-No, her problems are unrelated to HCM and she is 85. My paternal grandfather died at a young age from a "heart problem" that was in 1947. and thinking back on my fathers several trips to the ER for chest pain (no heart attack) I think he might have had mild HCM-if their is such a thing as mild HCM.
                A little background on me. My parents always told me I was born with a heart problem and since I had a heart murmur I always assumed that was the extent of my problems. To make a long convoluted story short I will just say I was officially diagnosed with HOCM 3/07/01.(I'm now 53) My ECG was irregular so I had an echo and wore a holter moniter for 48 hours. The echo showed an IV septum of 2.4 that was the biggie for me- some of the other #'s were off and a41mm gradient across the left venticular outflow tract-mild SAM. One puzzling thing to me is the left atrium is 4.9 ( for some reason I was under the impression just the ventricle was involved with HOCM not the atrium).
                The only med I'm on is 100mg atenolol. So far that has worked well for me. I have had no more incidents of severe chest pain or wildly irregular heart rhythms since starting the atenolol. My "mild" irregular rhythms,since atenolol, never last long enough for me to make it to the ER (cringe after all the nightmarish stories from HCMers) to find out what kind of irregular heart beat I'm having and that is a concern to me. My heart also behaved while wearing the holter except for "sporatic non-sustained runs of atrial tachycardia." "249 PAC's and 15 PVC's" whatever that means.
                My last check up was about three months ago and at that time I was having vague achy (no pain) feelings around my heart and the cardiologist said it wasn't my heart but my intuition tells me otherwise, then again maybe I'm just paranoid.
                Best wishes to all.
                Joyce L

Comment

Hi Joyce,
                  Glad to hear your mother is doing better! Hope you enjoy your "rest days" and start feeling like yourself.

Have a great week!

Sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon,
                    Thanks for the note and I wish also for you a great week!
                    Joyce L

Comment

Joyce,

The 4.9 atrium is the diameter of the chamber, not the muscle. You're right, the ventricles and septum are usually affected and not the atrium. However, when your heart works extra hard all the time, the left atrium can get enlarged somewhat. And listen to your istinct. If you think that your achy feeling is heart related, follow up on it. You know more about yourself than anyone else. Hope you get rested and feel better soon.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X