If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infections....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infections....

I've read a few posts regarding infections affecting the heart...and I know that's why most of us have to pre-medicate with antibiodics before, for example, a dental procedure. My father died about 5 years ago at age 71 (he had HCM). Two months before he died, a pacemaker was implanted. He was doing extrememly well (could go for bikerides!). While on a bikeride, a dog viciously attacked him and bit his lower leg. I flew down to Florida when he was admitted in the hospital and saw this. It was the most unbelievable sight I had ever seen...you could still see the infection. It looked like a shark bite. He was on antibiodics but could this have happened very quickly and an infection went to his heart? It's too late for answers but my family has always thought that had something to do with his downfall. His doctor was never available the entire week we were there....I had phone calls to his office but never got a return call. I look back and if I had known as much as I know now, thanks to this wonderful website, I would have been much more aggressive and persistent.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Infections....

Cynthia,

I don't know the answer to your particular question regarding the dog bite and your father's heart... but my dentist has warned me that should i ever think that i have an infected tooth, i am to get my butt into his office immediately. According to him, an infection in the mouth can spread to the heart very quickly, and he's seen patients with infected teeth where the infection passed to the heart in just several days.

Don't know if it's applicable in your situation though.

Take care,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Re: Infections....

Dear Cynthia,

Sadly, there isn't any way to know what exactly happened. However, if the antibiotics didn't work and the infection spread to his heart, he probably would've passed very, very quickly. At least, that is my udnerstanding of those kinds of things. The trauma of the accident and the stress on his system of trying to bead the infection and healing--that could have just been too much for him.

take care,

s

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X