If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hands falling asleep?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands falling asleep?

[Hands falling asleep?]

Author: Sherry (---.ras11.floca.tii-dial.net)

Date: 04-20-02 18:52

I told my husband (Tommy) about all of you. He is glad to know that this site exists. He asked me to find out if any of you, have experienced your hands going to sleep. His go to sleep on him a lot, especially when he drives. We were told, maybe it was a side effect of the ablasion. (?) have any of you heard of such a thing? Could anyone explain, if there are stages to this disease. They say told us he was in a very severe stage "more toward the end of " this disease. What does this mean? We can't get any answers about this. We try to live day by day. Th children have adjusted well. Another concern is that he was shocked by 220volt yesterday. He was cleaning the AC unit and the cord to the screw gun, got in the water. He told me that it zapped him real good, enough to knock him on his butt! He says he had to sit by a tree for about a hour. He won't call and tell the doctor, says he's okay. Yet his body aches today and I know he has, had more chest discomfort. Thanks for listening to us. We don't talk to many people about this disease any more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Hands falling asleep?]

Author: nancy (---.tnt1.flat-rock.mi.da.uu.net)

Date: 04-20-02 21:17

Sherry, I had a Myectomy March 21st, since then my hands and feet are numb most of the time, you can see my pulse in my neck, I have chest pain and irregular heart beat. I feel like I'm dying. I have 4 children, 15 months thru 24 years. I don't understand anything. My vision is blurred, I have no memory. I have no interest in anything. I can't work. I can't clean. I can't pick up my baby. I feel like I'm suffocating. I'm 42 years old, I didn't expect to live to 80 but was hoping for more than 45. You said your husband's hands being numb are the 'end stages', what are the end stages? I know I must sound like a baby, but I went to the doctor several times complaining of a heavy chest, shortness of breath and leg cramps. They told me it was Post Partum Depression. We got pregnant two more times and lost both pregnancies. After the last miscarriage I was really sick. I went to my local doctor who sent me to a cardiologist. Three days later I was in the hospital with blood backing into my lungs. That was March 6th. I don't know what to think of all this, I wish someone would tell us all the stages. Nancy

Author: Sherry (---.ras11.floca.tii-dial.net)

Date: 04-21-02 11:45

Dear Nancy,

I'm very sorry to hear about your problems with this disease. When someone is diagnosed with a disease and they go through, what you have in a very short period of time, they don't get time to think. We have all gone through a lot of adjustments, mood swings and even outbursts at each other. Shortly after Tommy's first Ablasion, all of our nerves were on end. Everyone from the 5yr old to the 16yr were snapping all of the time. We all blew up at each other the Sat. before Father's Day. At that point we knew that we all had to sit down as a family and try to work through, the impact this disease had put on our family. It wasn't easy for anyone, but it was a start. We had to learn to respect each others outlook and understand that not everyone looked at or dealt with this the same. The 16yr old was worried about me, and cried a lot. (a girl) The 13 yr.old was tough, acted like there wasn't much wrong. (a boy) They would fight really bad!! One would accuse the other of not caring. The girl looked at it as "dad's going to die" The boy looked at it as " this sucks, but God has the last say so" Then there was Tommy who went up and down with his emotions by the minute. It is very hard for everyone concerned. He spoke with a relative of his one day, shortly after his myectomy. The relative stated " What are you going to do , your going to die!" Tommy's reply was " I know what I'm not going to do! I'm not going to lie in a bed, shut in a room and give up!" There are many things that he can't do any more. He can't take the boys hunting or wandering through the woods like he use to. He can't do all of the lifting and moving of heavy objects like he use to. We now compromise, even more than we use to. Tommy use to all the lifting because of my back. Now I do all the lifting with the help of the kids. It is unknown why his hands are numb. I didn't say it was because, he is in the end stage of this disease. I wanted to know if anyone had the same symptoms. Also if anyone else new of stages to this disease. It doesn't make much sense to me. They won't give me any symptoms to stages or why they even said that he was in the end stages of this disease. What medications do they have you on? What are your gradients, since sugery? It takes several weeks after surgery to feel the full benefits of the sugery. Please try to take the time to let your body heal. You will feel poorly until your sterum heals and your body gets adjusted to the outcome of the surgery. It sucks not to be able to pick up your little one! I felt the same way when I had my back injury. My baby at that time was only 2yr. When I had my next child, all of the kids had to help with the lifting. It sucked but we all adjusted and then it became a normal part of our life. as human beings, we are resilient and can adjust to almost anything if we try hard enough. God bless you, keep your faith in God!

Sherry

Author: Wayne (---.centrelink.gov.au)

Date: 04-21-02 22:38

Sherry

I can't comment on your husbands conditions because I don't know much about it myself. However I can tell you it is normal for his body to ache after being shocked by 220volts. I have received several small shocks through my hands & arms due to the nature of my previous job & they ache for days afterwards. If the shock went right through his body as it sounds like, he should at least go to the doctor & preferably go to the hospital for observation. Apparently someone that has had a decent electric shock can go into defib upto 72 hours later even if they feel ok after it. With an existing heart condition who knows what other problems might arise.

Author: Sue (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 04-22-02 18:51

Sherry, I must agree with Wayne and urge you to have Tommy have his heart checked out NOW with respect to the electric shock. It is dangerous to a healthy, normal heart. I suspect the dangers could be greater to a heart with existing problems. And Wayne is also correct about the prolonged possibility of problems. Ann Landers always says her readers help one another, and we can do the same with this message board. Best wishes! Sue

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-22-02 21:34

Dear Sherry

I've never heard of this side effect myself, but I'm not up on all the after-effects on an ablation. However, overall it doesn't sound like your husband's doctor is really on the ball. Please call the HCMA office to get the name of someone truly qualified to treat HCM. (973) 983-7429.

And PLEASE get him to a doctor re: the electric shock.

I know that men are often very stubborn about going to the doctor --usually b/c they decide they know the solution to their trouble and they either don't like it or are afraid of it. However, they are usually wrong or it is only worse for the waiting. Drag his butt to the doctor!!!

good luck,

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X