If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close Call!!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MartinKennedy Find out more about MartinKennedy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Call!!!!

I posted that I was having a preoperative angiogram on Thursday and they found a 70% blockage in one of the main arteries leading to my heart. While I was in the o.r., they took care of the blockage and inserted a stint and I was home yesterday!!!! I feel a lot better, by Wednesday night I was experiencing almost constant chest pain and had become very irritable and my memory was getting very strange. The combination of the blockage and the HCM would have clearly led me to a potentially fatal heart attack. I am now feeling much better, going onto an intense omega 3 type diet of broccoli, fish and unsalted nuts and building myself back up. We need to evaluate my symptoms and determine if we go ahead with the asa treatment in October. I am very, very lucky! Cheers to Dr. Michael Fifer at Mass. General Hospital!

Marty Kennedy
    Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Re: Close Call!!!!

Marty, I'm so glad that you are all right! It seems that your angiogram came at just the right time. Remember to take it easy for a while.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Re: Close Call!!!!

I would really concider several opinions on the ASA at this point. If I were in your situation I would want at least 3 people/centers to agree that it is in your best interest. I rarely suggest such measures...but you my dear are not your run of the mill HCM'er.
      Please be careful and keep in touch!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X