If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tachycardia relief

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynthiaG
    replied
    Re: tachycardia relief

Thanks for your input, all of you....I did ask the doctors at NEMC yesterday about this. They told me that it wouldn't work for my type. I have atrial tach

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied

Massage to the neck area must be done very cautiously. Don't do it unlesss your doctor has specifically taught you how and given you the OK to do it. It is possible to slow your pulse too much and the possibility of breaking loose a small area of plaque exists in someone with cholesterol probs, "hardening of the arteries", etc. Your doctor knows how to evaluate a person to determine if it is a safe thing for them to do. Linda

Leave a comment:

• Reinhard
    replied

Ive have an ICD and from time to time I experience PMT's ( pacemaker mediated tachycardia which elevates my heart rate to 120 bpm ) which can last from a few seconds to 2 or 3 minutes. If it doesen't "break" within a minute I do the valsalva manuever. I hold my breath and bear down for 5 seconds or so. Many times it breaks and I get back to my normal 60 bpm rate.
    I have't tried the cold water yet, although I have tried coughing, which didn't seem to work for me. As far as the neck artery massage, I thought I read somewhere that this has to be done with caution.

Reinhard

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied

Cynthia, my cardiologist suggested mildly massaging my carotid artery (one side only), but I tried it and had no success. The idea seemed a bit weird to me, but I did try it.

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied

Cynthia, these are methods that have been used and have worked for some people. There are a few others also, but it depends on the type of tachycardia or palpitation you are having. Talk this over with your doctor and ask what the best thing for you would be. If you have had a Holter and your doc knows what is happening, he/she might be able to tell you that one of these is reasonable to try or it might just frustrate you more because it may not be something that is responsive to one of these things. Finding what works for you will certainly be welcome, I'm sure. You will feel so much more in control. Best wishes, Linda

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

Cynthia, these things do sometimes make the tachycardia stop. Another thing that might make it stop, similar to coughing hard, is to sort of hold your breath and create pressure in your chest by "pushing" almost like you're tightening your abdominal muscles. Before you attempt any of these techniques you should talk to your doctor and see if he thinks it's all right for you to do this.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    started a topic tachycardia relief

tachycardia relief

I had been told from my niece who is an RN that there are things you can do to shorten or "relieve" tachycardia episodes. They include, putting your face in cold (with ice) water, coughing as hard as you can or going outside when it's cool and taking slow, deep breaths. Anyone ever heard of these? or anything different?
Working...
X