If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treating the Symptoms of Arrythmias.....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treating the Symptoms of Arrythmias.....

I was wondering if anyone here has been able to successfully treat their arrythmias, either with medications, radiofrequency ablations, or any other thing I haven't mentioned here.

I have lately been experiencing very symptomatic arrythmias. Friday I was sitting at my desk at work reading a document when I suddenly felt one and thought I might faint right there. It went away quickly, and I was fine, but today I had another similar experience. Thank God I have an ICD, so at least I don't worry about dropping dead right there on the spot so much, but the symptoms are really disconcerting. I hesitate to tell all of my coworkers about it, because I don't want them worrying about my falling down in front of them all of the time, but at the same time, I worry about myself, and my 2 year old son when I am the only one taking care of him.

I currently take 125 mg. of atenolol daily, and I have an ICD interrogation scheduled for Friday. I just had my ICD reset to record all arrythmias over 150, so hopefully it caught one of these. Obviously, something has to give, but I am not sure what is the next step. I would welcome any thoughts.

Thanks.

Cynthia
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Re: Treating the Symptoms of Arrythmias.....

This is a difficult issue... and may take a long time to find a balance of medications that work best for you. Have you attempted any other medications?

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

This is a difficult issue... and may take a long time to find a balance of medications that work best for you. Have you attempted any other medications?

Lisa - So far, I have just tried Atenolol in varying amounts up to what I take now. Dr. Cannom, the E.P. doesn't think anti-arrythmics are warranted for what I am having now, which seems to be 5 or so beats of atrial flutter at a time. He also doesn't think verapamil will help, and he says my symptoms, while annoying, aren't dangerous.

I am seeing HCM doc in a few weeks. Any suggestions? Would another beta blocker perhaps work better? I am told Norpace would probably work, but Cannom says potential side effects from Norpace are perhaps worse than the problem itself.

Meanwhile, my little heart just flutters away.
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

I wanted to bring this thread up again as I am still searching for answers.

My interrogation a few weeks ago showed atrial flutter of a few beats. EP isn't too worried about it, but I had another pre-syncope episode yesterday. I can now check my ICD w/ my doctor over the phone and internet, and the interrogation revealed nothing.

Anyway, advice please. I am seeing my HCM doc in a couple of weeks, and want to ask for a change in meds. What does anyone (Lisa?) suggest? Addition of something? Verapamil? Antiarrythmic?

HELP!!! I hate these flutters. I am scared that I will faint and something bad will happen because of it.
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Cyn, I was having pre syncope that wouldn't show up on interrogation either .They concluded that it must heart rate dropping to slow which icd wasnt set to capture .I guess this just sorta fixes itself because they never treated me for this,but I was having a-fib and v-tach episodes during this period of time .I am now on betapace and mexitel for the arrythmia.I haven't had any pre-sycope episodes since March,but that really doesnt say anything to me because I hadn't had any for 2 yrs prior to last Winter.It's really confusing to try and make sense about it ,Just make sure Cardio and EP are on same team and same page. Rich
          Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
          However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

Cynthia,
            I am sitting here with flutters of my own thinking how @#$%^&* they are. I take a beta blocker/calcium channel blocker combo... yet these flutters still hit me every once in a while.
            I know you are frustrated...I CAN RELATE!!!!!!! Speak to your doc and see what the arrythmias are and whatelse they can offer you. Radio Frequancy ablations may work, based on where the arrthymia is coming from... you need and EP to help you with this.
            Stay on top of this and DO NOT let it get you down... I know I know...it is hard.

1. try to work with meds.
            2. ask about radio frequancy ablation

this is my suggestion...and I wish you nothing but GOOD LUCK!

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X