If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

endocarditis

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Art Geddes Find out more about Art Geddes
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• endocarditis

Hi everyone, been out of circulation for a while, said 1209 unread post so I proboably won't read them all. Lisa, thanks for sending the myectomy article, it was very informative.
    We have had a hard month as our 13 year old, Jeremy, who was diagnosed with HCM 3 years ago after an arrest, was hosptalized with a bacterial infection which invaded his bloodstream heart and lungs. They had to remove his icd and leads which turned into a life threatening event for several days. He has been in the pediatric icu at St Francis in Tulsa for 4 weeks and still shows vegetation on the right side of his heart and right lung so he will be in for another 3 weeks until it clears out and they can put a new icd in. The infection evidently started as a sinus infection and the first sign we had was a sudden fever of 103.5 when we took him to the er. Just thought I would let you all know and I will provide more details later. My wife stays with him daytimes and I sleep there at night and go to work in the daytime. We firmly believe the God is Jeremy's source of strength and healing and is seeing him through.
    Thanks for listening
    Art Geddes

Re: endocarditis

Art, I am praying for his full recovery. I know that this is one of the worst times of all of your lives. May Jeremy be able to rest and his body be able to heal.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Art,
      I am so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult! Let Jeremy know we are all thinking of him and we all wish him speedy recovery. Let him know that I too had endocarditis..it was 13 years ago... it was no fun...but here I am today doing just fine!
      I hope you and your wife are taking care of yourselves. Please know your all in my thoughts... and I am sending big hugs to all of you!

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hello everyone, just a quick update. Jeremy still in hospital, over 4 months now, echos still show bacteria on mitral valve, icd can not go back in untill infection all gone, can not leave floor without icd because of prior episodes of v-fib. Don't know what else to say, it continues to be a long haul and we are hoping to be out by Christmas but the Dr. won't commit to it.
        Thanks, Art

Comment

Art,

I will be praying for you and Jeremy and your family here in China. Thought it might be nice to hear that from so far away.
          Rhoda

Comment

Thank you for the update. I'll keep Jeremy and all of you on my prayer list.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Art -
              You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. If you would like to give me a call I may have a way for him to get home faster. I have some friends in industry that have a device that is wearable - maybe he could be fitted with this so he could come HOME!

Be well.
              lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Currently not obstructed

Comment

Art,
                Jeremy will be in my prayers also...have faith and I'm sure he will be fine.
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Art, I will also have your family in my prayers and thoughts. Hang in there and try to take care of yourself in this hectic time.
                  Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

I am not sure it will help...but I have been in contact with Art and some of the people at LifeCor (www.lifecor.com). I think we may just be able to get Jeremy home by Christmas!
                    Lifecor faxed me the information to get the process started to hopefully have a wearable device made so Jeremy can GO HOME.
                    Keep your fingers crossed!
                    Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reenie

PS: No, I don't really look like that. I wish!
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Praying for Jeremy, Linda

Comment

Hello everyone and thanks,
                          It appears talking to the ep here at the hospital that Jeremy is still too small arount the chest for the LifePac. Also in re-reading my post from Wed I said the growth was on the mitral valve, I meant to say tri-cuspid valve. Thankfully the left side of the heart is still clean. I will keep you all advised. Thanks

Comment

Art,

Hope things turn around real soon for Jeremy. We'll be thinking of you.

Jim
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Art

I was born in Tulsa, left when i was 18. ST Francis Hospital is a good hospital i hope everything goes well with your son. My dad Had his surgery at Hillcrest a triple bypass 17 years ago and he is still kicking around at the ripe old age of 86, just remember god won't give us more than we can handle

Shirley
                              Diagnosed 2003
                              Myectomy 2-23-2004
                              Husband: Ken
                              Son: John diagnosed 2004
                              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X