If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disability question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability question

After this last bout of CHF and being in the hospital my Dr. finally put his foot down. He wrote restrictions of my work to sit down duty only, as well as no outside work or extreme lifting.

Much as I feared I am now out of work for the time being. I took my permanent restrictions to casting that's where they place all of us Disney folks. This is what they told me. Out of 55,000 positions they did not have one sit down position available so I cannot work. They said they did not haveto accomodate me because it was not work related. So they put me on the transfer list which could take anywhere from 3 days to a year! The only bright side is I do get to keep my health benefits while I wait.

For some reason I did not think a sit down job was unreasonable especially in a company the size of Disney. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mary s.

Re: Disability question

Originally posted by Toogoofy317
    They said they did not haveto accomodate me because it was not work related.
    WHAT?!? [img]http://fp.funfiles.plus.com/animated_emoticons/emotes_b/bull****_flag.gif[/img] I'd talk to someone else if I were you, Mary. How is not being able to stand at work not work related? Sorry, didn't mean to "yell" but that really makes me mad. Tell them not to mess with you!

Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Mary,

You need an employment lawyer. Please talk to the Florida state department of labor. Find out what your rights are --I doubt that Disney will budge without a note from an attorney. If you lived in IL, I could ask one of my lawyer friends to look into it, but laws vary by state, I believe, on this one. There should be some pro bono lawyers available to you, as well.

good luck,

S

Comment

Well that sucks, I find it hard to believe that they cannot find a postion for you. When there are so many positions within the organization. I agree, consult an attorney or the local labor board.

Comment

For my own clarification, and Mary's, how exactly does one retain the services of an attorney when they are out of work and presumably have no money to pay for their services?

Thanks,

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

There are legal aid organizations available to those who are unable to afford legal services. I don't know of any in Florida per se, but if you called the Florida State Bar, or any county bar organizations, they could point you in the right direction.

Here in Los Angeles, I know of several organizations that would help in the exact circumstances Mary is facing. I am sorry I can't offer specifics, but the organizations are definately out there.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cyn is correct.

The local chapter of the American Bar Association should be able to put you in touch with pro bono (free) legal help. You can also ask at city hall, and your state may have a legal aid office, too.

S

Comment

OK Lets get some facts straight (yeh..I am a little angry about this...how dare that mouse!)...
                ADA has nothing to do with being job related... PERIOD.
                The links below will help anyone find their way through the ADA maze...
                Further...IF you want to file a complaint...contact your local EEOC office for a complaint form...
                Getting a lawyer to help may cost you...so try on your own first...with facts in hand it is much easier.
                Good luck!

Lisa

ADA LINKS
                Accommodating Employees with Hidden Disabilities
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/ek00/hiddenemp.htm

Accommodations Get the Job Done - fact sheet
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/fact/accomod.htm

Facilitating Return-to-work for Ill or Injured Employees - fact sheet
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/ek01/facilitate.htm

JAN: Opening Doors to Job Accomodation - fact sheet
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/ek98/jan.htm

Job Accommodations Come in Groups of One - fact sheet
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/fact/groupof1.htm

Job Accommodations - Situations and Solutions - fact sheet
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/fact/solution.htm

Making Management Decisions about Accommodations - fact sheet
                http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/ek99/accom.htm
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Mary,

I sure hope you have been able to get some help. You are lucky to have been able to keep your insurance, but i do hope you are back to work.

Laura
                  Laura Johnson

Comment

Still waiting on Disney. I did go to the social security administration and took them my medical records. My case worker said it should not be a problem receiving the benefits. But there is one catch it is a six month waiting list. She did say however that the back pay would go from March which is when I really started having problems. So ten months at $800 wouldn't be so bad. I just don't know how I am to survive until then. I guess I could max out my school loans and go from there. After all once I finish the nursing program in Florida they have a loan forgiveness program. Oh well just take it one day at a time!

Mary S.

Comment

Mary,

Just for you i am working on a really big mousetrap and a big honking piece of cheese. Hope it helps! Let me know if there is anything else i can do

Jim
                      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Mary, I wish you the best in nursing school, we need so many more competent and caring nurses. There just aren't enough to go around. I know you have enough EMS experience to understand just how physically demanding a job in nursing will be. While you are taking classes, maximize all opportunities for improving your computer skills and training. There is a great need in nursing for those who understand both nursing and computers. In this day and age where hospitals and everyone else are becoming "wired", it's tough to find the people who can put the two together and teach others how to use it. There are multiple jobs using the combination of skills and the hours are more flexible than most nursing(patient care) jobs. Keep all options open, and plan ahead so that you will be able to use your nursing skills even if you find the bedside nursing too demanding physically. You know how you feel and what you are capable of, but I know how exhausted I am after a work day, and I don't have HCM. I hope you don't think of this as discouragement, but rather as encouragement to keep moving forward and know that your skills will be treasured when you find the best place for you. Best wishes, Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda!

I am trying not to get discouraged but it is getting harder. I just got diagnosed with Crohn's disease. As if that wasn't enough I ended up with pneumonia so bad that I ended up with a six day hospital stay. Of course this all happens the first week of school so I had to have a friend go to one of my orientations so I would not get dropped from the class. As far as work goes the phone is silent. I wonder how hard they are actually working on getting me another job. I also went to the social security offce to apply for disability. They said I had a good case the only problem is that there is a six month wait to get it processed.

Oh well, enough of my eeyorish feelings! If anyone had any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Mary s.

Comment

Mary

Have you checked with your state for assistance. You should be eligible
                            since you are for social security. I don't know if going to school would keep that resource from you , but it may be worth a try.
                            What about help from the school financial office ?
                            I hope school is going well.

Laura
                            Laura Johnson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X