If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello I'm still around.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Susan Youngblood Find out more about Susan Youngblood
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello I'm still around.

I hear my name was mentioned today.....I am still around. I've been busy all summer with microbiology and my three kids. We'll it's been nearly eight months since my myectomy.(Friday,Dec. 13,2002) So far so good. Two weeks ago I paddled a canoe 15 miles down river with a girlscout troop. It only took seven hours. I was exhaused and amazed. I sure couldn't have done that last summer. The exact day I paddled down the river, my father received a heart transplant. Yeah! He is doing great.
    I have more energy then I have had in close to ten years. One of the first things I noticed after surgery, was that my circulation had improved. My feet and hands stayed warm through the winter. This summer, I didn't NEED the airconditioner, although it was appriciated. I feel alive again and no longer like I am just existing.
    I have been officially accepted into the nursing program at Indiana University, Kokomo. I start clinicals in two weeks. So, what area am I most interrested in...Cardiology of-course.
    Well, I am sorry I havent posted in awhile, but it is nice to be back and catch up on messages. Susan

Re: Hello I'm still around.

Hi Susan!!

It is so good to hear from you! I'm thrilled that you are feeling good and enjoying life! Congratulations on your acceptance into nursing school, I know you were working tirelessly towards it! You will be an outstanding nurse and will represent the cardiac patients wonderfully!

Take care,
    Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Hi Susan, good for you. Wonderful news about your feeling so much better.

I know what you mean about the summer. I too took Microbiology this summer, talk about a whirlwind summer. Four days of classes, tests every week, lab write ups every week. I'm so glad that class is over. I have 2 weeks off until first semester nursing starts. Good luck in your schooling.
      Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
      Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
      Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

Good luck to both of you. I can't imagine that study load with home and family responsibilities. It was tough enough for me years ago right out of high school when the study habits were still intact (if they ever were). You will both bring a maturity and level of experience to the class that your instructors will truly value. If I'm remembering correctly, Mary is also studying Nursing. Hurry through, all of you, some of us are ready to retire when we get our replacements! Best wishes to all. Linda

Comment

I am so happy to see others studying nursing as well! When will you actually be starting the program. Unless, I totally lost my mind last week when I took my finals I will be starting in January.

Linda we are definately trying
          I can't believe how long the waits are to get into the program here in Florida! You would think with such a shortage we could get in faster but that's not the case. I have finished all of my general education credits not to mention the prereqs. This semester I am taking courses that are going to help me with my bachelor's degree. I even have a 3.0 and still waiting! Go figure! I guess it will make it that more worthwhile once I get it!

mary S.

Comment

Congratulations to all you soon to be nurses. I agree to the statement that your teachers and your future patients will be extremely blessed and enlightened by your first hand experience in connection to illness and your compassion for the field you've chosen.

I do have a question however problems with cold hands and I believe also over heating problems were mentioned. Is this common. I have HOCM and of the last couple months I get numbness and coldness in my hands when I drive or write or crochet. And now all of a sudden I'm getting hot flashes in my face. I know your thinking change of life. Unfortunately I went thru that already five years ago.

Anyway thanks for listening and you go ladies.

Diana

Comment

Diana, I don't know what meds you are on, but these symptoms are often related to meds given for heart probs &/or high BP (calcium channel blockers and beta blockers included) One of the things they affect is the way blood vessels expand and contract and that alters circulation to extremities. It is quite common to have cold hands and feet with these meds. Ask your doc to be sure. Linda

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was supposed to see my cardiologist today but we cancelled because I just got back from Cleveland and seeing Dr. Lever.

I am on asthma, allergy, heart medication and bp medication. Makes sense.

Thanks again,

Diana

Comment

congratulations!
                  I am so happy to hear that you are feeling well.

Stay in touch and let us know how dad makes out! By the way what was the reason dad need a transplant - was it HCM?

Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa
                    Yes my husband, Mel Cingaman, had HCM. He had had a myectomy in 1976 at NIH. Since then he had 3 AICD`s in him.
                    Now he is free of all of that. His New heart is doing great
                    It has been 3 weeks since the transplant and he is walking about 3 blocks a day. He sure couldn`t do that before the transplant. In fact he was on oxygen and a pike line for the last 5 months.
                    We know that God has been in control of his life and we thank him.
                    Also the donors family for giving the gift of life.
                    Judy

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X