If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryoablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bert Find out more about Bert
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryoablation

I was wondering some of us had ever heard of the prcedure called cryoablation. It's a new minimally invasive procedure for children who suffer from arrythmia, and has been performed at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. This Hospital is affiliated with the University of Toronto, and is Canada's most research-intensive hospital. I was put in touch with one of their cardiologists, and was truly impressed with their level of compassionate care eventhough they are leaders in scientific and clinical advancement.

He's extremely interested in Jonathan's case since I faxed them all of his test results. Hey! We may be able to combine a trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame at the same time!!

Bert

Re: Cryoablation

Dear Bert,

I had a radio frequency ablation - RFA - in April and before I did I spoke to my EP about the cryoablation. She told me that it's a promising thing for the future, but that at that time she preferred RFA. She said they used to do cryoablation a long time ago too. I don't know what the difference in the procedure from then til now is. I also don't know how cryoablation would work for the HCM heart. I do know that most people with HCM don't get RFA. Something about the cell structure being different so you might not get the same results as a normal heart? I do know that the RFA worked for me and my arrhythmias are cured. I'm sure there will be a lot in the medical journals about the cryoablation though. I wonder, will it soon replace RFA? Hmmm.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Here is a link that I found for it.

Press Release from The Hospital for Sick Children

Comment

HSC sees hundreds of children a year with fast arrhythmias, commonly referred to as supraventricular tachycardias (SVT). This condition occurs in children who are either born with an extra electrical connection between the top and bottom chambers of the heart or have an abnormality in the heart's usual conduction system. Most of these patients are suitable candidates to have their arrhythmias ablated
        This is not a procedure for HCM - it is however a procedure for those with rythm problems, which may or may not be related to HCM - however it is not likely that this procedure will be used often in HCM.
        This procedure much like Radio frequancy ablations (mentioned above) are for those with pathways that can be found and termintated. Those with HCM may sometimes have these pathways but it is not very common.

It is an interesting procedure that will hold hope for many.

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

An addition to what Lisa was saying....

HCM heart muscle tissue is disorganized, so clear pathways are hard to find and ablating one arrhythmia won't prevent another, so the odds of a successful RFA ablation (not to be confused with alcohol septal) is much lower. (Point of clarificaton: Reenie doesn't have HCM, her husband does.)

There is a "maze" ablation that kills a maz-like pattern to create only one good pathway, but this procedure is riskier and has a higher death rate.

S

Comment

Good point Sarah - Thanks!

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X