If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lab test question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Midge Rollins Heart transplant March 04. Prior to that I had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I am an independent Norwex consultant. Visit my web site www.midgerollins.norwex.biz Find out more about Midge Rollins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab test question

For once while I was at the clinic I kept my mouth shut and now I do not know what this test was for. In my evaluation last week for a heart line (did not do) In my blood test panel, was a BNP mine is elevated, but I do not know what it is for. Does anyone else by chance know? Did not do line as they are increasing my Lasix and trying that again for another month. It does temporarily help for a week or so, so I will take my good week I am having and enjoy. It is going to be a Hickman catheter when they do it as that is less chance of infection, and with my devices that could be a mess to get infection. Thus, I was so surprised that they were not going to do that procedure that I did not ask questions about this lab test. BNP, if anyone knows let me know. Thanks all.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Re: Lab test question

I believe the BNP test when elevated is a good indicator of CHF (congestive heart failure). If you are SOB, and your BNP level is high, chances are you are in CHF and that is the reason for the SOB. Hope this helps. I really can't remember too much more about it.

Comment

Midge,

This definition is taken from the Cleveland Clinic:

"BNP, or B-type natriuretic peptide, is a substance secreted from the ventricles, or lower chambers of the heart, in response to changes in pressure that occur when heart failure develops or worsens. The level of BNP in the blood increases when heart failure symptoms worsen, and decreases when the heart failure condition is stable. The BNP level in a person with heart failure -- even someone whose condition is stable -- is higher than in a person with normal heart function.

BNP levels below 100 pg/mL indicate no heart failure
      BNP levels of 100-300 suggest heart failure is present
      BNP levels above 300 pg/mL indicate mild heart failure
      BNP levels above 600 pg/mL indicate moderate heart failure
      BNP levels above 900 pg/mL indicate severe heart failure"

I hope this helps, and I hope you're doing well otherwise too.

Matt

Comment

Those with HCM always will have a BNP that is a little high -when your system is "challanged" it may be higher.
        Example: in January - I was really sick - my BNP was 890! I was OK in 2 weeks but at the time the BNP was taken it was WAY up!
        BNP's will vary do not panic if it is up a little - it is likley that they will try to get fluid off of you via lasix.

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks everyone. I needed to know what the test is for. Very informative.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

this post is what i was looking for, had to go to urgent care center yesterday, have been getting short of breath for about four days now, the dr. told me he didn't think it was my lungs, just had a little wheezing, i'm retaining fliuds though in my stomach and legs, still very short of breath, more so just getting up walking across the room, they said my oxegen sat was 96 at rest 94 when not at rest, the dr. told me he thought my CHF was progressing, i go see my primary care dr. tomorrow i'm sure he will run the bnp test tomorrow, iwill just be glad when they get it under control, so i can get a good night sleep, breathing is worse when i lay down, and only comfortable on my right side weird lying on my back makes me start wheezing and i can't breath same for left side well thank you for letting me vent, on you guys. i'm very glad i found this foundation.

P.S the dr. put me on prednazone, he thought it might help me breath, and an antibiotic just i case i had infection in my chest it's Biaxin xl 500mg
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X