If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluid in ankels and feet

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid in ankels and feet

[Fluid in ankels and feet]

Author: Dora J. (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-15-02 16:40

Hi Everyone:

I am a HCM patient. I was diognoised in 1994. In the last two years I have been having trouble with my ankels and feet swelling, mostly when I am sitting at the computer. I don't understand why this happens.

I also have a problem when I try doing something while bending down. I feel like I am being strangled. I have not seen any other boards that have talked about these problems. If anybody has experined this please let me know what you have done and how it worked for you. My doctor had me increase my Lexis to double and that helped for about a week and a half, but now it is happening again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Fluid in ankels and feet]

Author: Toni Thames (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-15-02 19:15

Hello Dora,

I recently was diagnosed the congestional heart failure a few weeks ago due to complications from HCM.I also had swelling in my feet and ankles along with problems breathing and coughing. After sitting down for short periods of time my feet and ankles would be swollen for no apparent reason. What was actually happening is I had a build up of fluids in my body because my heart was not removing the fluids affectively. I dont want to alarm you, it could be from something else but it's better to be safe then sorry. Good luck . I hope you get find out whats causing your problem.

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-15-02 20:33

Dear Dora

Ankle swelling is the first sign of congestive heart failure. You need to see your cardiologist RIGHT NOW. You should also not sit for more than an hour at time, even if it is just to walk around for 3 minutes to give your legs a break.

Let us know what the doctor says.

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 04-15-02 21:02

Dora,

I agree with Sarah, you should speak to your physician as soon as possible. Retaining fluid can be a sign of congestive heart failure and should not be taken lightly.

I suggest you contact him as soon as possible and explain your symptoms and concerns. There are appropriate medicines that can be given to relieve the fluid buildup can make you feel quite well. The medications and speaking of our diuretics and should not be taken without your physician supervision. If diuretics are taking into great quantity of the potential problems may be works than being in heart failure itself. Therefore, it is imperative that you manage the fluid with the doctors guidance. In all cases of diuretics used it is important to be cautious of potassium intake and sure your potassium levels are staying in appropriate levels.

I hope this information helps and I hope he continued to participate in the HCM is message board.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

president

HCMA

973 -- 9 8 3 -- 7429

Date: 04-15-02 21:18

Hi Lisa

I was taking 40mg of Furosemide and one K-Dur 20 daily. When my ankels started to swell my doctor had me double the Furosemide. That worked for about a week and a half, but is now doing it again. I will give her a call tomorrow to see what she wants me to do.

I increased my walk on the treadmill from 40 minutes to 60 minutes and am also doing some working out at the gym. I thought maybe this was why it is doing it again. But I happens when I set down at my computer and I don't sit here more then 20 to 45 minutes at a time, most times not near that long.

Thank you for your response. I will make sure and call the doctor tomorrow.

Dora J.

Author: Blaine (---.chartersc.net)

Date: 04-15-02 22:19

I have HOCM too. I was diagnosed in 1995 at age 35. I have had swelling of the feet for the last three years. Not extreme, but if I sit at the PC too long the condition worsens. One thing I've noticed is my salt intake does have some bearing on this. I also have a hard time with bending over. (I make the kids pick up all their toys.) I don't have any solutions; I'm just letting you know you are not alone in your symptoms. Anecdotally, I have read that you have to be careful with diuretics. Dehydration is definitely a no-no with our condition. That is not to say that you should never use them.

Best of luck!

Date: 04-16-02 18:22

Hi again,

I called my doctor today and she has prescribed spironolactone 25mg. I am to take this a half hour before my fluid pill. I looked the medication up on the web and it says not to use any salt substitutes or low-sodium milk products that contain potassium, because they could cause high levels of potassium in my blood. I take potassium when I take my fluid pill. Guess I better call the office before I take my potassium in the morning. I'll let you all know how it turned out.

Thanks you all.

Dora

Author: Lisa (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 04-25-02 18:00

Dora,

How is everything going?

Lisa

Author: Dora (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-25-02 18:14

I am doing a lot better as far as the fluid is concerned. Mental I am not doing very good. Lot of stressful things in my life right now.

Dora

[Myectomy or Alcohol Ablation?]

Author: Marlene (---.ip.theriver.com)

Date: 05-17-02 11:24

I have had a great deal of problems with my feet and hands swelling for many years. It always seemed especially worse when I was in the heat. I could not tolerate Hawaii - pretty bad, huh? I have had a difficult time getting doctors to listen to my symptoms. Although I was diagnosed in 1991, that doctor failed to tell me anything about HCM. I've learned the most recently on the internet. I had an AICD implanted last December without much improvement. Two weeks ago, I had a Catheter Ablation to block my electrical responses. So now I'm dependent on the pacemaker for the rest of my life. I'm 48. I am still having alot of symptoms, especially swelling and a choking sensation that will not let up. I feel really winded with any exertion (just walking) and it was comforting to just read that someone else has a hard time bending over - I REALLY feel like I'm choking then! What's frustrating is that my doctor says my heart's doing really well since I tolerated 7 minutes on the treadmill (slowest speed). He thinks my problems are due to lack of exercise, but it is so uncomfortable just to walk from my house to the car! The doctor has discussed me having a cardiac myectomy or alcohol ablation. I really want some relief. I have had symptoms since I was 8 or 9 years old - you know, not being able to swim, run or ride a bike because it would hurt so bad in my throat. I'm tired of feeling exhausted all the time. I also feel this effects me mentally - I started suffering with depression about the same time the HCM symptoms appeared. I would sure like to hear from ones who have had the Alcohol Ablation or Myectomy. My Aunt had the Alcohol Ablation about 3-4 years ago (she is 78 now) and says she feels wonderful now! I was told by a person in the cardiac field (at the Mayo Clinic in Minn.) that the long term effects are not known and that my best option would be the Myectomy. Also, if anyone knows of any good doctors in AZ, I would sure appreciate the referral. Thanks and take care all of you!
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X