If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really in need of direction here...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Really in need of direction here...

Hi Jim, good for you going back to school. You are never too old to go back. I lost my job a couple of years ago when my company closed. I decided I needed a new career. I am almost 40 and am starting nursing school in 2 weeks. I will graduate in May of 2005. Its really a lot of work, great challenge and actually interesting for me. It gets a little stressful with 2 kids, working part time and running to cardiologist visists every 6 months, but I think it will be well worth it. I'm sure you will feel that way also. Good luck with your classes.
    Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
    Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
    Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

Thanks Michelle,

Good luck to you also. Wow! You certainly deserve a lot of credit for what you are doing... juggling family, work, doctor's visits, and school all at the same time. You go, girl!

Were you nervous at all about going back to school? I gotta tell you, it's been twenty years since i cracked open a textbook, and i'm nervous as heck! My school starts in a couple of weeks, and i keep wondering... am i still smart enough to do this... have i already killed too many brain cells to be able to learn anything new... what will all the younger folks think of me... it sounds funny i know, but these are the things that actually go through my head.

Take care, and best wishes in your new career

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim,

As a former college professor, I want to assure you that you will be among your faculty's favorite students! Adults always worry that they've lost their abilities to study & memorize. What you've gained over the years more than makes up for any little losses.

You are mature; you have a sense of direction, and you have a level of motivation which few late-adolescents and young adults have--at least in relation to their studies! Some say it is hormones & others just say it is the developmental stage, but most college students are more interested in recreational pursuits than in their studies. The college classroom, I believe, really benefits from the mixing of ages and interests; I think it is more interesting today than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

So, to both of you, Jim & Michelle, enjoy your new challenges and enjoy the thrill of mastering new knowledge and skills!

Pat

Comment

Thanks Pat, that really helps

Comment

School

Hi Everybody,

I've made plenty of negative posts here in my time, so i thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to post a positive one for a change! Don't be afraid... i promise i'll return to my usual morose self after this post

I sincerely want to thank everyone who encouraged me to go back to school. Thanks in large part to funding from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, i'm here at Grad school and so far it has been fantastic! I can't tell you the last time i actually felt this good. What a hoot! School's a whole lot of work, but to be honest i enjoy it so much it doesn't feel like work at all. I was so worried about being in classes with so many younger students and that it would make me feel old and stupid. But you know... it's exactly the opposite. It's rejuvenating actually... young minds, fresh ideas. I feel like i'm getting a second chance at youth here!

Anyway, i should cut this off before i get so corny as to make all of you puke (oops... too late). But thanks again for everyone who encouraged me to make this decision. It is turning out to be one of those major life-altering decisions that you could never have predicted for yourself, but in the end you're so glad that you made it.

Jim

P.S. An observation on current university fashions... am i expected to start wearing boxer shorts and wear my jeans down around my ankles? What in the heck is UP with that? Good lord!

Comment

Dear Jim,

I'm so happy to hear that school is going so much better than you thought it would. I'm kinda weird. Every time the weather starts to get a little crisp I think I'm supposed to go back to school myself. Maybe one of these days.... Anyway, I'm proud of you for just jumping right in.

Reenie

Oh, and Jim, if you DO start wearing your boxers hanging out, warn me first.
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jim,

As a college Biology prof I always told my freshmen students (in the US, never in China!) that the reason why they wore their pants this way was that their parents wore them so tight that they raised the temperature of their testes, which causes infertility. Today's students are determined not to repeat their parents failures.

I know this is not the humor column, but thought you might want amunition in cast this ever turned up in a discussion with your fellow students.

Rhoda

Comment

LOL.

TRUST ME when i say that a) i will never walk around with my boxers exposed, and b) nobody would want to see that! I'm so un-hip anyway, i'm always about a decade behind. I've just recently entered the world of 90's fashions

Thanks for the chuckles!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X