If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stress tests

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

liona Find out more about liona
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stress tests

While wishing Clive the best of outcomes from his forthcoming surgery, I must take issue with one of his statements. No a stress test is NOT a sure-fire method of detecting heart problems.

For decades I have complained of my chest pains and dozens of stress tests were done, all of which indicated that I had NO HEART problems at all. Last Fall, things had gotten so bad that I was sure that I was going to die from my non-existent heart problem. My Dr. said let's do a stress test and I refused, saying that I wasn't going to take a test that had failed to show any results so many times. He said, OK let's do an echo-cardiogram as well as the stress test. I consented to this.

Initial results from the stress tests were that my heart was 85% efficient with no problems. One week later, the echo showed different results, massive HOMC with an extremely high pressure gradient---------------

It is a mistake to think stress tests show everything----they don't!

Re: stress tests

Liona, you are right that a stress test isn't the only way to detect heart disease. It can give you a good insight on how efficient your heart is, though. For HCM echos are still the gold standard. By the way, how are you feeling lately?

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel, actually! The blackouts and greyouts are totally gone, but chest pains remain and I feel my exercise is rather constrained by the "heart Attack" involved with the ablation.

I'd rather be better, but I'll take the improvement that I have and be grateful------------------

Comment

I'm glad that you're at least some better. I'm sure you will continue to improve over time. Just don't overdo it.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X