If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Laoshur Find out more about Laoshur
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any suggestions?

Hi,

Well, I'm glad you are doing better and that the EP was negative. With all that family history, it is a surprise ---but a good one!

Take care and keep us posted,

S

Comment

I am happy to hear that you are doing well and I still think you are amazing for having the courage to leave the country for China for such an extended time!
      Did he set up a medication program for you?

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! At times I think I am crazy too, but sleeping through two nights in a row can do wonders. I am continuing the medications that the cardiologist had recommended, which is currently 240 mg Cardizem CD am plus 120 pm and 100 mg Toprol XL. For the time being I am also taking 25 mg of HCTZ to try to keep the BP down, but judging by a crash in BP yesterday evening, I think that won't stay long. For the next three weeks I will take Plavix and aspirin. Given the allergy and asthma drugs I take, I feel more than slightly like a medicine chest. The biggest challenge will be getting enough of the heart meds to last until January. We hope that the parcel delivery will come through. Often they do not.

For those of you who pray, I would appreciate your support. I know from last year the hazards I face, only now I understand why and hopefully will be able to avoid some of the most severe problems. In addition to constant HCM problems last year, I had pneumonia that lasted from Nov 1 to Jan 15. Pollution is very severe and I have some sort of lung disease that shows on x-rays. If I did not have a commitment to being there, if I did not love my Chinese students and friends, and if I were not sure I need to be there, these would seem insurmountable. As it is, they just seem like challenges.

Comment

You must feel like a new person! Best wishes for continued improvement, stay in touch, Linda

Comment

China is luck to have you! ... But do come home and tell us wonderful stories...or log on from China and keep in touch!

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi, all,

Just thought I'd let you know that we arrived safely in China late Tuesday night and that all is well. I had a hard time deciding when to take meds with the 12 hour time difference, but am now back on schedule after nearly 5 days here. Staying hydrated in Beijing is always going to be a challenge since tap water is off limits to everyone. So, I now carry a bottle everywhere. My activity level here is very high - I walk several miles a day most days and ride my bike several times a week, but the Chinese walk slowly and the area inside the city is very flat. It has helped that the weather is hot, but not nearly as hot as last year when we arrived. I have only had problems with irregular heartbeat and sob a few times so far. Dr. Gilligan was very negative about my climbing steps while carrying loads, so I have asked for classes to be taught in lower classrooms. Some will be, and for the others the university has offered to provide assistance in carrying my projector, laptop, boombox, speakers, books, etc.

Thanks to each of you who has expressed concern for me. I have to admit that I was pretty daunted by coming back at times since I really felt that I might not make it last spring. But since coming back, I feel much more confident that this will work out well.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you and wondering how things were going. Did your doctor give you any idea what he expected for you as to the palpitations and SOB? Is this something that may decrease a bit as your heart recovers from the procedure, or did he expect you to notice all benefit early on? Let's hope the palpitations decrease as you readjust to being back in China and the schedule and climate changes. Linda

Comment

Laoshur:

Hi! I just read this thread today and hope that you are now doing good as it sounds like you are better. Hope the adjustments won't be too harsh in China. Yes, please keep us updated, as I'm sure we would all like to know how you are getting along. I have HOCM and two other things that I cannot remember the names of right now.

Talk to you later and take care, Anna

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X