If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pulse rate

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulse rate

anyone have a pulse rate in their 40's being on beta blockers?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: pulse rate

Hi Cynthia,

My pulse is usually pretty low and I'm on 100mg Toprol XL daily. My resting rate is right around mid-50's though. You might check with the doctor if yours is in the 40's consistently, he/she might be able to adjust the dosage some to bring that up a bit.

Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

This will top the duh list today but here goes. How do you take your pulse. Is it count the number of beats in a 6 second period and add a zero or is it count for 10 seconds and divide by or add a zero? I'm confused obviously!

Thanks in advance.

Diana

Comment

I allways count the # of beats in 15 secs and multiply x4 Rich
        Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
        However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

Counting for 15 and multiplying by 4 works great - also, counting for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6 works well too. Of course, I admit I have an exercise heart rate monitor that I use for working out so that's how I easily check mine before/during/after my workouts.

Lynn
          Lynn Stewart
          HOCM 4/2002
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

I have an arrhythmia, so I like to take my pulse for at least 30 seconds and double it or even listen for a whole minute.

Comment

I feel the need to clarify pulse rate.

When we talk about pulse rate we're actually talking about heart rate (how many times the ventricles of the heart contract in a 60 second period--one minute). That can be determined by listening to the heart with a stethescope, by using a monitor which measures the electrical signals controlling contraction, or by feeling (palpating) the pulse anywhere in the body where an artery is close to the surface--the commonly-used location to do this is at the inner wrist. When using palpation on another person we must use fingertips only; on ourselves we can use fingertips or thumb. This is because we have a palpable pulse in the tip of our thumb which could be confused with the pulse of the other person. In taking our own pulse the thumb pulse and the wrist pulse are usually synchronized so the confusion doesn't happen.

When one has a predictable and regular rate one can count the beats for less than a minute and then multiply by the figure which will give the rate for 60 seconds. Therefore one multiplies the number of contractions in 6 seconds by 10 (6 sec*10=60 sec), the number in 10 sec by 6 (10 sec*6=60 sec), and the number in 15 sec by 4 (15 sec*4=60 sec).

As Sarah points out, however, when one's heart rate is irregular or less predictable, it is preferable to count for the full 60 sec. For some whose rates are "regularly irregular" (irregular but predictably so) then counting for 30 sec and multiplying by 2 (30 sec*2=60 sec) is okay.

I know this is pretty detailed and unimportant for most of us, but we are dealing with pathology in the heart on this Board and an accurate appraisal of our own pulse rates can be very important in knowing how we're doing and when we should call the doctor.

Stay well, all,
              Pat

Comment

This is a good thread as I've been wondering how to count my pulse rate. This is a little confusing to me though. Let me see if I get this right, I count my beats for 15 seconds, right? Then, multiply the amount my heart beats by 4? It's multiply the amount my heart beats by 6, if counted in 10 seconds, correct?

- Anna

Comment

I've always found the pulse in my neck to be much stronger than in my wrist, so that's where i take mine. I also have wildly varying results if i only monitor it for ten or fifteen seconds, so i just watch the second hand on a clock and stick it out for the full minute. Everyone's different i guess
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yes, Anna, you're right.

I've been told when one uses the carotid artery (in the neck) to check one's pulse rate it is possible to alter that rate. I'm not really sure of the physiology behind this or whether there can be a variety of things which happen. Does pressure compress the artery, causing some beats to be lost? Can pressure on the carotid artery alter the brain's sensing of oxygen/carbon dioxide balance, creating a reflexively altered heart rate? The carotid is commonly used by health care professionals. Perhaps Linda can help here.

If you're going to use the carotid artery make sure your pressure on it is light. And you might try palpating both your wrist and your carotid artery at the same time to see if you feel each beat at both sites. It's a bit awkward, but do-able. Put the fingertips of one hand on your neck pulse and the fingertips of the other hand on your wrist pulse.

Pat

Comment

Cynthia, currently my resting heart rate can be as low as 41, but normally is around 46.
                      Lets back up a bit.
                      Early 2002 I was still on Inderal, taking it 4 times a day, my HCM doc asked if I wanted to try Atenolol as I would only have to take it once a day and he felt Atenolol was a better beta blocker.
                      My resting rate on Inderal was mid 50s.
                      March/2002 I switched to Atenolol and felt just great, better than on Inderal, I went to my HCM doc this year for my annual. he was not happy it was below 50 during my ECO.
                      I told him it was always that way. I take a very low doseage of Atenolol and could not take a smaller doseage so he wanted to try me on Monocor (Zebeta in the US), and last week I did a 24 hour Holter Monitor to see if there was a change, My HCM doc is probabaly just getting the results, but I know it has made no difference, in fact I do not feel as good on Monocor, but I know I will hear from him as soon as he gets the results.
                      I do cycle a lot so that would have some effect on my rate, but normally they are not happy when it is below 50.
                      You should really let your HCM doc know your rate is low.
                      Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                      So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                      Good luck and stay well.
                      Glen

Comment

When checking the pulse in the neck, (the carotid artery), you want to use light pressure and no rubbing or massaging of the area to find the pulse. In this same area is what is called the "carotid sinus" which helps the nervous system to control the heart rate. It is possible to alter the heart rate artificially with unnecessary pressure in this area and also possible to stop the heart entirely. You may see a doctor or nurse palpate both wrists or feet/ankles to feel pulses at the same time and compare, but never both sides of the neck at the same time. Both sides together has the potential to compound the problem. Don't play games with this area, it's serious business. Light pressure is fine on one side only. If you need heavier pressure, you're probably feeling in the wrong place. The reason this pulse is checked in emergency situations is that it is closest to the heart and will have the best chance of a palpable pulse if one is actually present. It takes a higher blood pressure to palpate pulse further from the heart, so if a true emergency exists, the pressure may be too low to feel a pulse in the wrist. Linda

Comment

Very interesting info about the carotid artery! I wasn't aware of much of this. I've only ever had to apply very light pressure here and feel that i've gotten consistent readings. It's very hard to locate a good pulse in my wrists these days. Prior to being medicated i used to be able to hear my pulse in my head and just count along, or watch my neck pulse in a mirror. LOL. I know it sounds freaky, but like everything else associated with HCM, until i was diagnosed i always thought it was perfectly normal
                          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

WOW! I guess my question wasn't so silly. I learned so much. Thanks to everybody who responded to my question and to the question posed at the beginning of this thread.

Special thanks to Pat for the in depth explanation about the how to figure your rate out. I got it!!!

Comment

You're welcome, Diana. I'm always happy when I can share something I know and have it prove useful to someone else!

Linda, I learned a lot from your additions. Thanks!

Pat

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X