[teen support]

Author: mary (---.ckhnet.com)

Date: 04-13-02 09:47

I have a teenage son who is 15 with hcm. I am wondering if there are any other teens out there who would like to correspond on a teen site? As a parent it is diffecult to know what they are feeling. It is tough enough to be a teen much less have a medical condition that limits you. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: teen support]

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-13-02 17:32

Dear Mary,

THe HCMA has a network for its members and will hook your teen up with others. There will also be a special teen session at the annual meeting in NJ on May 31st and June 1st. You can all the office for details about both -973-983-7429.

Sarah

We could also add a Teen Only message board here, too, if there was enough interest.

Author: Kasey Wookey (---.per.openaccess.com.au)

Date: 04-15-02 23:43

hi mary my name is kasey and im 17 and i also have HCM.

my mum also feels th same as you as she doesnt understand or know what I am feeling or going through.

and i would be happy to get in touch with your son.

Author: mary (208.132.95.---)

Date: 04-20-02 11:21

Kasey,

What is your email adress? I will pass it on to my son and he may or may not contact you. I really never know how he feels. sometimes, I think he doesn't even want to talk aobut it.

Author: Sarah Beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 04-21-02 12:53

Dear Mary,

If you click on Kasey's name that is underlined in blue on her posting, it will launch an e-mail to her.

Sarah

Author: Kasey Wookey (---.per.openaccess.com.au)

Date: 04-22-02 11:40

Mary,

my email address is [email protected].

its cool, its your sons call to email me. just tell him i know how he feels. im a teenager with the same problem.

i looking forward to getting his email.

Author: rhonda (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 04-23-02 16:59

hi,

i have a son who turns 19 next week, he was diagnosed at age 15. at that time

he was a very competitive baseball player and weight lifter. according to our athletic guidelines in alabama he was removed from sports immediately.

this was not only a devestating period for him, but also us (his parents and family)

it was a real struggle for him to maintain a relationship w/ people who had been his friends for life (they were just like him, real jocks,and were busy w/ practice, games, etc...) but time has helped. he has shared his condition w/ only close friends and just backs out during strenuous activity.

luckily for us and him, he has become interested in fishing and hunting, again w/

the strenuous parts done by his friends and dad.

he is now a freshman in college, living in his own home w/ friends. I am no longer around to monitor his lifestyle, rest, and meds, but he knows the risks, does his best to take care of himself but continues to live life his way.

his e-mail address is [email protected].

feel free to write him, but as i said he continues to be very private and withdrawn when it comes to having hcm.

best of luck to you

rhonda