If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chf

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chf

can you have sporadic episodes of CHF and then take lasix when you need to? I was just told by my cardiologist's nurse that my ejection fraction is 65, which she said is normal....If congestive heart failure happens when your heart isn't pumping fully, then why would you still get it?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Chf

Actually there is a blood test that measures CHF. But with HCM your numbers will be higher but you do a baseline and then go from there. That is what my local cardiologist has started using when determining if i need to get admitted into the hospital. My troponin levels are normally elevated so it is hard to determine when I need to be observed . Lisa, can probably give more info on the blood test.

Mary S.

Comment

A BNP can measure levels of heart failure.. all of those with HCM will have BNP's that are above normal, but if you are in CFH a protien will be in your system that this test will pick up. Linda a little help here please...
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes, I get occasional episodes of CHF and self-medicate with my doctor's permission. Some things that trigger it in me-

#1. Overdoing physical activity (usually when I've been feeling pretty good and forget that I need to pace myself).

#2. Exposure to excess heat, humidity, or high altitude (like vacationing in Colorado).

#3. Catching a cold.

#4. Sometimes for an unknown reason.

I usually take the diruretics for 2-5 days until I feel better. I usually don't notice swelling in my ankles but just have increased SOB plus that throat tickling sensation. Hope this helps.

Dolly Y

Comment

Lisa is right. BNP has been found to be a very useful test in CHF, but if the person has HCM, the value is questionable. We need more studies in HCM to determine if, how, and when it will become useful in that condition. HCM will most likely cause a person to have a normally elevated BNP because the muscle is stiff and always stretched. The test is being used to determine the difference between respiratory failure and heart failure more quickly allowing more rapid appropriate treatment. Much time is lost quite often just because people have both respiratory and heart conditions and the primary treatment for each will vary. The BNP is a naturally occurring hormone in the ventricles. It is released into the circulation when the ventricular walls are stretched by an increasing pressure from the CHF. It is one of the natural wonders of the body that helps it to cope with the condition. The hormone (BNP) causes the blood vessels to dilate and require more blood to fill them, thus drawing the pressure off of the heart and lungs. A genetically engineered form of BNP is available for IV use for treatment of CHF instead of the usual vasodilators and Lasix. Early studies are very promising for CHF, but we must remember that vasodilators are generally contraindicated in HCM. From what I have read, it is not yet being recommended for CHF in HCM and may never be due to the vasodilating effect. If anyone has more to add, please do so. Maybe your doctors have discussed it with you? Linda

Comment

I am one of the exceptions to the HCM rule of no vasodialators.I take a long acting nitrate called isordill. Dr. M.Maron gave the explanation that I have small arteries. Not necessairly the coronary arteries but my arterioles . He said this occured on the microscopic level because of cellular dissaray .

As far as my CHF goes they get a base line BNP for me when I feel good. When I have Chest Pain SOB they measure it.If it is higher than my norm I get admitted and treated. If not, after they have the symptoms under control I go home. It works well for my local cardiologist. Anytime, there is something he doesn't understand I still get admitted and Boston gets a call. Better safe than sorry he always says.

Just my two cents.

Mary S.

Comment

Thanks Mary, there are always exceptions. It's important to share these experiences to show that there are no hard and fast rules. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X