If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swollen foot/hands - hot weather??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swollen foot/hands - hot weather??

noticed my fingers a little swollen during this hot weather.....then came home tonight and my right foot was swollen ...I've been short of breath this week...dont know whether it's due to the heat or another CHF episode...been off lasix since April.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: swollen foot/hands - hot weather??

Hi Cynthia,

I too have problems with swollen fingers particularly after sleeping or through hot/humid weather. However, since you have CHF history, are short of breath and/or also if you have gained more than 2 pounds overnight you need to get in touch with your docs. It may be time for some more lovely Lasix...it's a pain at times to take but it does a great job of reducing the extra fluid in your body as you well know! It's always best to err on the side of safety and check it out.

Take care,
    Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Could be either. Do you usually have other symptoms when you have CHF? I can usually feel a tickle in my throat that worsens to a drowning feeling. Mine happens very sporadically. I do keep some diuretics and potassium on hand and use as needed with my doctor's okay.

Hope you feel better soon and that it is just a heat related problem that disappears.

Dolly Y

Comment

thanks Lynn and Dolly for your input...I took a some lasix (havent had any since April)..remember doctor in Boston saying that if my feet get swollen, to take it. I plan on calling my local cardiologist on Monday and mention this to him...seems like for a week or so I have been short of breath...don't know if the heat is partially the cause. do you take Lasix on a regular basis or when something happens (i.e. sob, fluide)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

p.s. the symptoms i have is SOB and the fluid...just went to the local cardiologist 2 days ago and he listened but didnt mention he heard any wheezing, etc.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

You may also want to be really careful on your salt in take over the next few days and try to drink lots of water...it may help get some of the fluid off.
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cynthia,

Please forgive me, it seems like i'm always popping in on your posts! But you've asked some great questions that i too am very interested in so i hope you don't mind...

Are you folks speaking about swelling from water retention? And for another silly question... can men retain water? I was told that women do but men do not.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

This too is an equal oppurtunity situation! Yes, men retain fluid.

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Currently not obstructed

Comment

thanks, guys! And Jim, I'm happy anytime you have something to say! Where I stand now, is that I don't know if what I had was CHF things going on or it was the heat, maybe too much sodium..I did take a Furosemide last night and it got rid of all the fluid everywhere. I'm going to call my dr.tomorrow morning and tell him. How do you know if it is heat/fluid related or CHF???? If it's CHF, would I have other symptoms?? I'm new to this and have a lot more questions to ask my doctors

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

With HCM sometimes it is hard to tell?!? THe key is HOW DO YOU FEEL??? you can call the fluid retention anything you want in all honesty ...if you feel bad..it needs to be handled ASAP - if your not feeling that bad then... do not worry so much but do call the Dr. and discuss it.
                    Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hi,

I don't have CHF, but if I sit for a long time during hot, humid weather, my legs will swell up like balloons. This happened a lot a couple years ago, but seems to have tapered off. I also make sure to get up and walk around more.

S

Comment

I too, have swollen hands and feet at times, when it gets warm out, most often. I do not have C H F, si I just put my feet up for a while.
                        Hello, I`m Craig, I have H.O.C.M. and I`m making the most of my life with my daughter and my wife!!!

Comment

Hi, I woke this morning gasping for air. (Not Panicky)..Like someone with an asthma attack. is this normal for hocm people. I am aware of most all symptoms - this i never really had before. Is this the whole fluid in your lungs thing..???
                          it just ruined my saturday sleep in - - the only way i can find relief is to sit up. I will be talking to my doc monday - meanwhile is there anything i can do to bring closure to this episode today if it continues

thnx
                          vinnie

Comment

Vinnie,

It sounds like this is a new symptom for you. It happened suddenly. You get relief only by being upright. You cannot connect the breathing difficulty to any activity or med change.

If I'm right on all that, I'd say you should not wait until Monday. You should go to a local ER or Urgent Care and get checked out. Once they have figured out what's happening they may tell you you can wait until Monday. But that's nothing we can tell you on the Board nor is it something you can figure out on your own.

I know it's pretty late there on the East Coast, but if I were you and still having these symptoms, I'd ask a friend or family member to take me in for a medical evaluation.

Good luck,
                            Pat

Comment

Vinnie, Hope you took Pat's advice and checked things out. Like she said, the key here is that it was a sudden and new symptom for you. Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes, Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X