If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough Week!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Week!

I swear when it rains it pours!

Just as I though life was getting better and I was on the right track I get thrown another curve ball! I hav my medi-port implanted on May 30th and it apparently went without a hitch. Or so we thought the anitibiotics to protect my heart seemed to have done more harm than good. They ended up wiping out all of the natural bacteria in my stomach and intestines and a bad bacteria set up camp there. After surgery I did have mild diarrhea but my doctor was not to worried about it. He said take some immodium and that should clear it up. Well, it didn't with the combination of the diarrhea and lasix I became dehydrated so my GP sent me to the ER to get fluids replaced.

I went there waited ten hours and only got seen at that time because my glucose dropped to 32 in the waiting room because they would not let me eat or drink. When I got back there I told them what my doc said and they checked my bp 132/98 astronomical for me (88/58 norm). He said I couldn't be dehydrated with a great bp like that so he was going to send me home. I asked if he was going to check my potassium and see if it was off due to my being on lasix. He did and of course it was low becasue I was dehydrated so he sent me on my way with a potassium pill and said go to my doctor. But, my doctor sent me here go figure!

Anyhow 2 days later I get hauled away from work with massive vomitting which in turn affected my heart due to lack of potassium . The chest pains and palpatations were more than I had ever had. I ended up spending six days in the hospital with a hernia, gastritis,and cololitis. I'm still on a liquid diet and feel quite misearable. Lots more drugs and ensure are my diet right now!

Will this ever end!

Mary S.

Re: Rough Week!

Mary, I sure hope you can get things straightened out soon! You have lots of prayers coming your way. Linda

Comment

Dear Mary,

I'm sorry I've not called --between job hunting and being out of town, I'm just not around much. I should be around during the day this weekend or evenings early next week.

I'm sorry they blew your flora out. Pick up some acidophilus and eat yogurt to help rebuild that stuff. AND GET OUT OF FLORIDA!!!! I swear, it is Florida!

hang in there (and my previous offer still stands).

S

Comment

Look into taking "acidophilus" to help replace the benificial bacterial fauna in your digestive system that antibiotics destroy. It can be purhased at health food stores, and is also found in yogurt.
        Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

Mary,

Yes, Larry and Sarah are right, acidophilus and yogurt to help the good little bacterias in your stomach fight off the bad ones. That's why whenever you travel to a foreign country you should always eat lots of yogurt!

I'm sorry things aren't going better for you, and do hope everything turns around for you real quick!

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Mary -
            BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
            You have had a rough go of it ... when things get this way fro me I think of a sign on the wall of my office... "focus on the Future!" The past is past ...what we are living in will soon be the past and we can not change either... so look to the future..set a plan and do your best...it seems to have worked for you so far... Know we are all here and we do care!
            Be well,
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks for everyone's care and concern. Once, I can get in more than just clear fluids I will do that! I think being neauseated is one of the worst feelings to the world next to my chest pain. Had them both the other night and just wanted to be put out of my misery. The medicine helped though! At least I am home and that is all that matters!

Boy though when one system goes haywire the rest seems to follow suit with me at least!

Thanks again,

Mary s.

Comment

Mary - I can relate...sometimes I am sure that my body is on strike and will just not sign the contract!!!
                "cant we all just get along"

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Currently not obstructed

Comment

Mary, major hugs and sympathy. I have to agree with Lisa's last message. I wish my system would get a contract signed to not only work together but an agreement to support each other when the other goes down instead of jumping on the band wagon. Oh well I guess as long as they all don't jump ship we'll live to see another sunny day.

I hope as you recover at home and refresh your physical systems that you have something or someone who can refresh you spiritually. If not keep coming here over the weekend and I'm sure we'll all be here for you.

By the way just so you know I'm not speaking words of encourgement from a life that doesn't know what your talking about. I went to Cleveland and met with Dr. Lever. I went because there was some concern over my med's causing my liver problems to start with. I defintely don't need that because I have Hep. C. Also I have severe asthma and allergies and there was concern over my med's in that area. I also wanted to make sure my Dr's here had me on the right track as far as my HOCM. Well we got all that sorted out for the most part. It was strongly suggested I see a Gastro. person and an Endro. person while I lose my weight. Just what I need more Dr's. Good side I'm still here because of them. Today I got a call from Dr. Lever and it seems I may have sleep apnea on top of everything else. I quit breathing for up to 3.5 seconds when I sleep which with the HOCM is not a good thing. Looks like I'm going to have to go have another Sleeping test. Last one didn't show sleep apnea but I woke up over 600 times during an 8 hr. period because of the restless leg syndrome I have. Boy sometimes I just want to run away from me.

Anyway what your going thru is much tougher than what I'm dealing with right now but I just want you to know I understand personal health **** and I'm here if you ever want to talk on the phone. I'll pay for the long distance charges.

Well now that I've written a real LONG letter I'll let you rest.

Take care,

Diana

Comment

Mary, The same symptoms happened to my wife after taking antibiotics. She was prescribed flagile by our family doc and recovered in a few days. Fortunately, She does not have HCM. In the process, she lost 17 lbs before they finally made a diagnosis.....
                    Chuck B

An inch is a cinch, a yard is hard

Comment

Diana, What is the restless leg syndrome?
                      Chuck B

An inch is a cinch, a yard is hard

Comment

This condition is a sleep related illness. Not always but it starts that way. For me and most people I know with it, you just start to go to sleep and your legs started jerking around and they won't relax. Your legs literally are so restless that you must get up and walk around. You think they've finally caught up with the fact that the rest of your body is sleeping and you lay back down and it starts all over again.

There is a website for the National RLS Foundation, www.rls.org.. which explains it a whole lot better than I can. For years I found relief with a supplement I found at the health store that had Quinine in it. But last year found out that the Quinine is quite detrimental to the heart and can cause severe problems. Needless to say I am no longer on it.

I hope this answers your question.

Diana

Comment

Mary, I am sorry to hear all of your bad luck. I hope that things turn around for you SOON. I will keep in mind about the port and the meds. I am looking at having my port installed soon. They will give me cardiac meds direct into it until a heart becomes available. Not looking forward to it but know it is next step. I read your notes and feel fortunate. Hang in there kiddo will keep you in my prayers.
                          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Midge,

The port installation is no problem! I was just a freak it rarely happens with the whole antibiotic ordeal. It does make your life a lot easier. Trust me, not getting poked seven times to get an IV started is quite nice. Thinking optimistically that is.

I am feeling better now though. Thanks everyone!

Mary S.

Comment

I am posting this JUST to make Mary feel a little better..and to basicly say...Hey I am a mess too
                              I get to go to an oral surgeon on Monday... to had a biopsy of this nasty wound that I have had in my mouth that will not heal...SINCE MARCH!
                              So They took a look and said "wow, thats nasty can I get my camera?" NO joke! Next step was prednisone for a week (that means No sleep for me!) then off to the biopsy next week so that they can see "WHAT" this "thing" is... YUK!

This is SO nasty...

I have a list of possible things that it may be from...as simple as a reaction to tooth paste...to Lupus and just about everything in between. I was told one thing for sure about the type of "thing"...
                              IT IS RARE.... JUST like me a rare messed up HCM'er with a yuky thing that will not heal for unknown reasons!!!

Hey Mary did that help

Later!
                              Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X