If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean echo & pregnant, questions.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

summerof722003 Find out more about summerof722003
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean echo & pregnant, questions.

My father has HCM. I had an echo last year, after we learned of his condition, and it came back normal. I was told three things are possible: 1, I do not have HCM. 2, I have it, but have not yet expressed symptoms (I am in mid-30s). or 3, I carry the gene for it but will not develop it myself.

I am now pregnant with my first child. I plan to have another echo later in the pregnancy, to see if anything has changed.

Can anyone answer the following questions?:
    Given that I have no symptoms and had one normal echo, am I fairly likely not to develop symptoms of the condition during pregnancy? Can I consider myself not to have inherited HCM? Last, are there any precautions that should be taken during the pregnancy, EVEN IF the second echo comes back clear, just because of the family history?

My doctor is familiar with HCM and seems confident that there is nothing to worry about, but then again, he is not a cardiologist.
    Thanks.

Re: Clean echo & pregnant, questions.

Originally posted by summerof722003
    My father has HCM. I had an echo last year, after we learned of his condition, and it came back normal. I was told three things are possible: 1, I do not have HCM. 2, I have it, but have not yet expressed symptoms (I am in mid-30s). or 3, I carry the gene for it but will not develop it myself.
    Not really - - 1. yes you may not have the gene and therefore will not get HCM. 2. Yes you may have the gene and may express it later in life.
    3. Yes, you may carry the gene and not express it, though this seems to be very rare.

I am now pregnant with my first child. I plan to have another echo later in the pregnancy, to see if anything has changed.
    Changes will not likely take place quickly. If you had an echo with in the past year - you should be OK - - I can see why you will want to check ( I would too if I were you) but I do not think you will see anything change.

Can anyone answer the following questions?:
    Given that I have no symptoms and had one normal echo, am I fairly likely not to develop symptoms of the condition during pregnancy?
    See above...
    Can I consider myself not to have inherited HCM?
    Sorry Not Yet
    Last, are there any precautions that should be taken during the pregnancy, EVEN IF the second echo comes back clear, just because of the family history?
    Let the doctors who are caring for you and the baby know the history and that should be all you need to do at this time.
    My doctor is familiar with HCM and seems confident that there is nothing to worry about, but then again, he is not a cardiologist.
    have a great Pregnacy and a happy / healthy Baby!

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: Clean echo & pregnant, questions.

Hi,

I just wanted to say 1. Congrats!! and 2. Congrats on a clean echo. 3. As Lisa said, it is super-duper rare that your children would have HCM if you didn't. 4. The odds are also highly in your favor that since you are still clean in your mid-30s that you will stay that way.

Have a great baby!

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X